1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food Preparation in the classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dancingkangaroo, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi there!

I am looking for a wee bit of advice on how to organise a lesson which covers these Es&Os from CfE:

I experience a sense of enjoyment and achievement when preparing simple healthy foods and drinks.
    HWB 1-30b

When preparing and cooking a variety of foods, I am becoming aware of the journeys which foods make from source to consumer, their seasonality, their local availability and their sustainability.
    HWB 1-35a / HWB 2-35a

I am keen to do a bit of food preparation in the classroom, but I have minimal learning assistant time. I also have a class full of mischievous kids!

Does anyone know of any recipes that are low-cost, minimal equipment/baking required, but the pupils will have fun making, without me wanting to tear my hair out? (I feel as though I may as well be asking for a lamp with a genie in it here!)

2. Hi there!

I am looking for a wee bit of advice on how to organise a lesson which covers these Es&Os from CfE:

I experience a sense of enjoyment and achievement when preparing simple healthy foods and drinks.
    HWB 1-30b

When preparing and cooking a variety of foods, I am becoming aware of the journeys which foods make from source to consumer, their seasonality, their local availability and their sustainability.
    HWB 1-35a / HWB 2-35a

I am keen to do a bit of food preparation in the classroom, but I have minimal learning assistant time. I also have a class full of mischievous kids!

Does anyone know of any recipes that are low-cost, minimal equipment/baking required, but the pupils will have fun making, without me wanting to tear my hair out? (I feel as though I may as well be asking for a lamp with a genie in it here!)

3. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

Fruit Kebabs - maybe vary the ingredients so some children have locally sourced fruits and others more exotic and imported fruits. Discuss how and why we don't grow all foods in this country.

Just my initial idea - hope it helps!

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

On a similar theme, the Year 5's in my school make fruit smoothies, and that seems to work as a whole class lesson.
    btw, what do the initials "Es&Os", "CfE" and "HWB" stand for? I'm guessing that "Os" are objectives, but have no idea about the others.

5. Glad I'm not the only one at a loss! Is CfE "Curriculum for Excellence"?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

HWB health and well being?
    CfE definitely curriculum for excellence
    Es experiences
    Os outcomes

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Es where I live aren't something I'm allowed to use in the classroom, definitely nothing to do with health. Not sure my HT would be keen on me using them in my own time either!

8. On a practical note, specify a day & time, then ask if parents can come in to help. Many hands make light work:)

9. Haha, stupid Scottish curriculum...

well guessed, CfE is curriculum for excellence, Es and Os are experience and outcomes (the stuff wot we cover) and HWB is health and wellbeing which I guess is covered on here as PSHE.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'm thinking of doing something themed like The Apprentice...

10. We made hoummos in the food processor and it is cheap an easy. Cans of chickpeas, some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic (can use the precrushed from jar) and tahini paste.
    Then the students could cut up some pita, carrots, cucumber, celery, etc for dipping into.
    Other dips like tsatsiki may go down well, get them to great the cucumber and mix in greeek yoghurt. Or make your own favourite dip.

11. I love baking and making food with my class in Year 2. We've made fruit kebabs, fruit smoothies, bread, muffins, crispy cakes, fairy buns, decorated biscuits. Muffins came to £12 and are easy to make. The ingredients don't need to be really exact and the mixture can have lumps in.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I hated cooking in primary school as the classroom seemed such a dirty and unsuitable place to cook, like cooking in your bedroom or living room, only worse!.