1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

food nostalgia a la Nigel Slater! What do you remember fondly?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolate_cupcake, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Haha oh how I love Nigel Slater's book "Toast." I am 25 and while some of the food described in it was before my time, some of the descriptions of the food cracks me up.
    Arctic Roll - "a layer of jam so thin it could have been drawn by an architect's pen" and "tastes like frozen carpet." So true!
    Flakes and Munchies - "taste ever so slightly stale". Again, I see what he means!
    He reminisces about the time when they all thought Parmesan cheese was off because it "smelled like sick." My mum could really relate to this - she grew up in the 1960s and anything foreign was viewed as suspicious by her mum, especially spaghetti which my mum didn't have til she was 19!
    Childhood treats I remember include Toffos (pulled a few wobbly teeth out with those!), Secret Chocolate bars (no idea who made those, Nestle maybe?) and Golden Wonder crisps.
    What do you remember fondly?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Likewise - a large gobstopper and a copy of the 'Valiant' kept me occupied for a fair bit of Saturday morning when I was a kid.

I grew out of the gobstoppers eventually but I still read the comics ;-)

Sherbert Dips were also a firm favourite - I had a couple again not so long ago. I used to bite both ends off the licorice straw and suck the sherbert up with it. Trouble was you could inhale too fast sometimes and end up with a gruesome choking and backfire effect where the sherbert ended up coming back down your nose. Gross.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Semolina and Tapioca milk puddings.

Crisps that had a little blue twist of salt in them (or in some cases dozens of twists and only one crisp)!

Wagon wheels that were huge not like the little biscuits you get today.

Kayli. 1d worth in a paper cone. You licked your finger and dipped it in. If you had yellow then after your fingers looked like a 60 a day smokers!

Flying saucers, rice paper discs with sherbert inside.

Zoom ice lollies

4. [​IMG]Am I the only one who still likes the Fray Bentos pies ?

5. Mum loves them! After her cancer-op she is being indulged food wise...would she like me to cook her a nice bit of lamb? Maybe I could poach a little piece of salmon for her?....No! She wants me to see if there are any more Fray Bentos Pies on the shelf!

And, don't let on to the foodies over of 'Cookery' but I am rather fond of a tinned steak and kidney pud! It's the thick doughy stick-to-your-stomach-lining pastry!

6. Chicken Kievs have always been my dinner of choice since I was a kid - im still slightly obsessed with them today and have them any "lazy" evenings when we dont have the time/inclination to cook - including right now!
    I liked salt'n'shake crisps - we used to add the salt, then some vinegar, and occasionally some ketchup before shaking.

7. Chicken Kievs are amazing... the mini ones are best!

I actually LOVE my lasagne when I can be bothered to slave over it!

8. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Loved these comics too; seems such a long time ago!
    As regards sweets, I used to love acid drops and chocolate limes, also, Spangles.

9. My mum's panhaggerty - utter utter comfort food (I make it occasionally but it's not hubby's fave so not as much as I'd like - I could live on the stuff)... has to be my mum's version though, none of these fancy cookbookified versions.
    School horrid horrid custard that my mum would never give me a get out of custard note - to this day I have a fear of wobbly custard skin.

10. I used to love school puddings too and always had seconds!

11. gudrun

gudrun New commenter

we always had iraspberry instant whip [always had powdery bits in that did not mix]and we dreamed of being posh and having butterscotch angel delight

12. I love fray bentos pies!
    10p crisps from the newsagents were always fab washed down with ben shaw's shandy. I loved roysters too and was so pleased when they came back!
    Panda pops were vile but we drank them anyway.

13. Ooooh and molly milk on everything!
    Nothing beats my nan's milk jelly....she still makes it to bring round for dessert when we invite her for dinner!

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

SNAP!
    I remember when we had butterscotch Angel Delight with sliced banana in it, that must have been just after pay day, as it was instant whip the rest of the time ( and Dream Topping if we were lucky!)

15. We used to have potatoes every night - the curse of an Irish mother - and the noise of a potato masher being banged around still makes me think of childhood 'dinner's ready!'.
    For treats - double dippers (two types of sherbert to be dipped), wham bars and nerds - vile little crumbly suggary things that we used to love.

16. Braised steak, with mashed potatoes and carrots. I remember that carrots were the only vegetable I would eat. :)

17. my worst nightmare - urgh!

I remember "peeling" the marzipan off battenburg cake
    [​IMG]

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Hurridly hides the Battenburg cake from bluepowdermonkey[​IMG]

19. Awe I love Battenburg.
    Had an aunt who used to bring great ruddy slabs of seed cake, vile stuff hated it.
    Loved, and still do Goblin tinned puddings. They were a rare treat as mum made her own puddings, which to be honest were to die for.

20. Butterscotch Angel Delight was one of our treats too, alOng with tinned fruit and evaporated milk and spotted d.ick. My childhood fave though was Swiss roll and custard, or dream topping if we were lucky!

Sweets were only at the weekend out of pocket money. Comics were Bunty, then Jackie or Just 17.

Never had a Vesta curry-mum didnt do spice or foreign food. Didnt have my first curry until I was in my 20s. Although she did have Thai sweet chilli dipping sauce at a 'gastropub' last week, and then asked me why she's never had it before because it was lovely and where could she buy it...