1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food Intolerance?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Eva_Smith, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Hi everyone,
    Over the past week or so, I've been suffering from getting very bloated after eating. Sometimes it happens immediately and last for around an hour after eating, other times it seems to go on longer.
    I've had a look back at my diet over the past fortnight or so, and can see nothing out of the ordinary. I eat lots of vegetables, use brown bread and other wholewheat carbs and try to keep to a healthy diet. The only thing I've really changed is trying to step up the amount of water I drink since I'm always being told that I don't drink enough.
    Anyone got any suggestions/advice?

2. Eva_Smith

Hi everyone,
    Over the past week or so, I've been suffering from getting very bloated after eating. Sometimes it happens immediately and last for around an hour after eating, other times it seems to go on longer.
    I've had a look back at my diet over the past fortnight or so, and can see nothing out of the ordinary. I eat lots of vegetables, use brown bread and other wholewheat carbs and try to keep to a healthy diet. The only thing I've really changed is trying to step up the amount of water I drink since I'm always being told that I don't drink enough.
    Anyone got any suggestions/advice?

3. It may be increasing your water intake, it may be something in your diet that is causing it, it may be something completely unrelated.
    I'd keep a diary of exactly what you eat and when over another week or so, and see if and when the bloating occurs. This may help you identify a cause, and if not, then a trip to see the doc is probably in order.
    I suffered with bloating and stomach cramps for some years, finding it would start in the morning and last all day. I initially thought it was caffeine, stopped drinking tea, and the cramps stopped. Then I realised I was still drinking a lot of coke so the caffeine probably wasn't the cause. It was then I thought a little harder about it and figured out it was milk that was the problem. A few little experiments involving cereal and milk and tea both with and without milk confirmed this.
    I now drink black tea and don't eat cereal (unless it's dry and straight out the packet!) and the problem is solved!
    Hope you find a solution soon! x

4. Eva,I suffer from IBS and brown pasta is an absolute killer for me as is bread - brown and white. Might be worth eliminating it for a while.

5. Eva_Smith

Thanks for the advice. Is it likely that foods I've always eaten will suddenly start aggravating me?
    Tonight, I had a tuna salad for my dinner, but still I felt bloated and uncomfortable afterwards.

6. Yes, it is possible to suddenly develop an intolerance. I read about it when I was surprised to get hay fever for the first time at 53.
    I have recently found my guts to be crampy and windy and the GP suggested IBS since last year's unrelated CT scan showed no abnormalities. I too have found that high-fibre foods now make me feel as if I've swallowed a brick and make my abdomen tender when I lie down. I wouldn't call it a food intolerance or allergy, though.
    Have you tried Buscopan? I thinking of buying some.

7. They call it 'the change' and it's not just your periods that go up the creek! But Eva you're too young for that aren't you?

8. Eva_Smith

I hope so, I'm 29!

9. [​IMG]

10. Eva_Smith

That's exactly the facial expression I make when I remember my age!

Have woken up this morning feeling less uncomfortable although I do feel suspiciously as though my stomach is just wait to bloat when I eat. What does anyone suggest I try for breakfast to avoid this?

11. I got diagnosed with IBS in my early 30s. You can develop them any time in your life. I now know that I have to avoid bread and pasta but occasionally I can have them with no ill effect. If I start to eat them regularly however, the symptoms return. I don't know what it is specifically I am intollerant to but bread and pasta seem to the be main culprits - though stress can make me poorly regardless of what I eat.
    Corn or rice pasta are not bad substitues and I can eat wraps instead of bread though gluten free bread is expensive and really quite grim in my opinion.

12. Eva_Smith

Ok, I've just eaten my dinner for the evening which consisted of a chicken breast wrapped in parma ham, half a read pepper stuffed with cherry tomatoes, garlic and mozzerella and a handful of mixed salad. I'm so bloated I look about 8 months pregnant (my mother would be so happy!).
    What can possibly have caused it from that meal? No carbs at all so it doesn't appear to be bread or pasta that's setting it off.
    Any ideas?

13. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say either the meat or the cheese (or both) could be a cause.
    Would either of these link in to when you've been bloated previously?
    Did you have any sauce with it? A dressing on the salad? What did you have to drink?
    How does that compare to previous 'episodes'?

14. Eva_Smith

So odd because yesterday I lunch I got really bloated, but didn't eat any of the things I ate tonight.
    The chicken was cooked with a drizzle of olive oil and some white wine. The salad had a touch of balsamic vinegar on it and salt/pepper. I've eaten all of these things countless times with no reaction at all.
    Hmmm.....head-scratcher!

15. Definitely!
    You can develop intolerances to things you've previously been fine eating.
    I still think a thorough food diary would allow you to monitor things closely - it's a pain and not a quick fix, but having a written record might help identify something.
    Do you normally include a lot of meat in your diet? I ask this because as a student I didn't (was pretty much vegetarian), and found when I came home I had troubles digesting the quantity of meat I was suddenly eating again. After a few weeks I re-adjusted and was fine.
    What about medication? Are you taking anything? Changed anything? Name brand to supermarket brand? I know you've recently had eye surgery - did they give you any pills etc.?
    Have a think about toilet habits too - are you functioning as normal?

16. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

On the other hand..... it could be a weird virus or something.

17. Eva_Smith

Not a massive amount. I eat red meat very rarely; I prefer using Quorn mince to beef mince. I maybe eat chicken once a week. I do eat lots of vegetables and am a bit of a carb junkie (jacket potato with tuna and salad at least once per week, pasta once per week) but have never previously had a problem with bloating - but, as you say, it is possible to react differently to something you've previously been OK with.
    I'm usually impressively regular. I haven't noticed too much of a difference really, except for going a bit later than usual in the mornings due to being off work.
    No pills or medication at the moment, except for eye drops. I haven't made any drastic changes to my diet except for trying to step up the protein intake by eating omlette in the mornings, and generally trying to avoid a carb laiden breakfast.

18. Eva_Smith

Maybe! I don't feel terribly unwell.

19. That is also very true!

Other than maybe the increase in the protein in the morning, I'm stumped!
    Or, just a thought - with being on holiday, could it be a change of routine? Eating at different times etc. Perhaps eating better/worse/more/less than normal?

20. Sorry to be the Bad Fairy but if it continues, you should see your GP in case it's a mechanical problem (e.g. sphincter not releasing properly) or obstruction.