1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food from your childhood

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, May 8, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Today popped into our local Co-op to get the Sunday paper and spotted a box of fish fngers in the freezer! Now looking foward to Fish Finger sandwiches later in the week.

2. I went out last night just to buy findus crispy pancakes (cheesy ones!).
    Really satisfied my craving!

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Findus beef risotto. It bears no relation to a risotto I would cook now, but it was a real treat.

4. Butterscotch Angel Delight - heaven!
    My mum used to make a lovely pudding - it was a sort of cold, creamy rice pudding with flaked almonds in, covered with a layer of tinned cherries (possibly black or morello?).
    Sadly no recipe for it was ever written down and my mum seems to have no memory of ever making it. [​IMG]

5. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Vesta curries and a weird chow mein where you fried bits of pasta to go on the top

Those meat pies in tins

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Can you still get Vesta Beef curries?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I always look forward to Chinese new year because Tescos (other supermarkets are available) will stock crispy noodles. We usually buy enough to see us through the year.

8. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Is your mother on anyone in her family Danish?

As you are describing *** a l'amande - an almond rice dish served with tinned/bottled black cherried that Danes eat instead of Christmas pudding at Christmas

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Almond-Rice-Pudding---***-a-l-amande-

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lettuce leaves dipped in Sugar.(I cringe at the thought today, but we loved them!)
    Strawberry Angel Delight, Tinned Mandarins and Dream Topping - or Chocolate Andle Delight, Tinned Pears and Dream Topping....and none of your 'Instant Whip' rubbish either....Mum insisted that it had to be Angel Delight.
    Cadbury's Milk tray - in a bar. (One bar had about 10 different fillings).
    Mashed Potato, with Spring Onion - and if Birthdad had been lucky on the horses, a fried egg on top.
    Thick Pea Soup - with Tinned Luncheon Meat.
    Home Baked Bread - nothing quite like it!

10. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

sorry but the TES swear filter doesn't like the Danish word for rice -- r.i.s - and has blocked these in the text and link - be sure to correct this

11. Oh, I remember those, they were fantastic! I used to get them in my Christmas stocking sometimes.

12. Oops that didn't work! That was in reply to Blazer about the Vesta Curry.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We rediscovered fish finger sandwiches when someone gave Mr BS some toaster bags for his birthday. Put the fish fingers into the toaster bags and they are done after 3 goes in the toaster!
    I roasted a brisket of beef today. My Mum used to do that regularly but it is much better done in the slow cooker. I remember it being dry and tasteless. I have found several things that are much nicer for not being cooked to death!

14. a brown pot dish filled with home made queen of puddings...mmm.

15. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The food from my childhood is still locked in the nuclear bunker

Must check the sell-by dates

16. Mmmm my Gramps used to make amazing rice pudding with a lovely nutmeg skin that my sister and I used to share. I remembered how to make it, just, so we now have it in the evenings once the kiddies are in bed... far too often actually, but it is nice :0)

The other thing I remember him making was my Nannas steak and kidney pudding (she'd died before I was born, I think, or just after). He used to put it in a bowl, place a plate on top, wrap it all in a big cloth, tie string around - just like a parcel, then boil it in this large black, weird looking saucepan. Yummy :)

17. Haha I remember the war spam in the cupboard too. Why they still had it I don't know.

18. Angel Delight ... yum

Home made Rice Pud

Egg and Chips

Yellow fish

Bacon and Potatoes

19. inq

inq

Boiled ham (stringy and salty) with mashed potatoes and parsley sauce = yuck!
    Pilchard pie (tin of pilchards mixed with tin vegetable soup topped with mash and cheese) = yum!
    Crispy fried bacon rind = yum
    My grandma buttering the unsliced loaf before cutting wafer thin slices on a SUnday so we could have bread and butter or tinned salmon sandwiches followed by tinned peaches/ apricots with evaporated milk.