1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food from around the world topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarbon, Aug 25, 2012.

1. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Hello,
    I am in year 1 in September and am doing the topic mentioned above. I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for trips relating to this topic? I'm in Birmingham btw.
    I thought about taking the chn to a pizza party (Italian link, LOL) at pizza hut where they get to make a pizza and then eat it but wondered if anyone had any better ideas??
    Thanks in advance.

2. What about looking at a staple food that is common around the world such as bread and all the different forms - flat breads, foccacia, bagels, crumpets, fruit breads, rolls, sliced, wholemeal, croissants, tortillas, wraps etc, rice based wraps such a rice paper rolls...damper from here in Australia the list is probably endless. REasonable cheap to have nice big tasting day at school and perhaps some guessing games or naming competition or match the bread with the country.

3. Hi
    A good story book to use is called The World Came To My Place Today. I have used this in the past with a large floor map and a bag with items of food (or pictures of it) for each child. The food links to the items in the story. As you read the story, the children place the food on the map on the country or continent it came from. You could also use flags and country / continent names for the children to place alongside the food item. To add some ICT you could use google earth to 'fly' from school to each place too.
    Have fun!

4. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Thanks everyone. I have lots of ideas already for the topic and have arranged for friends from other cultures to come and cook with the chn. It was a trip idea I was struggling with...allotment sounds good and will definitely look into buying that book suggested. Thanks.

5. roise

roise New commenter

Yo Sushi do a session where children make sushi, we took our lot last year it was fantastic.

6. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Thank you roise! Will look it up now.