1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food for Thought

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by catbefriender, Oct 18, 2017.

1. catbefriender

catbefriender New commenter

Currently 25% of the UK workforce is over 50. By 2020, 1/3 of the UK workforce will be over 50. The government is urging employers to rethink their recruitment, retention and treatment of staff over 50 as in five years time, AND if Brexit ever happens, there will be fewer young graduates available.

What impact do you think this will have on schools where, 'At the first sign of a varicose vein your out,' syndrome still persists? Do any of you actually believe that schools will start re-employing more over 50s in earnest, or do you think, they will just take who is available that is young i.e. perhaps young unqualified teachers with Grade 3 degrees, foundation degrees or even just GCSEs, or do you think they will let an army of over 50s in? Do you think they will start paying younger graduates more to attract and retain them as all industries will be in fierce competition for the bright young graduates?

Currently 40% of job-seekers allowance is being paid to individuals over 50. The 30-40 year old age bracket is currently bringing in around £38 billion in revenue. There are a lot of professional over 50 who can not find work.

We will all of course know what it means for schools in 5 years time, but I welcome your thoughts. My views, schools will continue to take on younger staff irrespective of skills. Currently schools are attracting a wealth of first class young graduates from many disciplines, but when there are other industries like media, finance and law offering more money, glamour, less stress and a whole lot of other perks to young graduates, things are bound to change.

Younger teachers, how do you feel about perhaps managing a team of over 50s? Is this something that you feel may prove problematic? Have any of you noticed any changes in attitude in HR towards the idea of bringing older staff?

Cat

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

!
    I 'm not sure that is still the case! The job market for teachers is very local and in some places the shortage of new ( usually younger) teachers has led to increases in the employment of older age groups . In 2 Primary Schools I know this year's recruitment have been entirely over 40's- no-one else can afford to live in London!

it is the leaving rate of young teachers in the first 2-3 years of the job that is extremely worrying.

3. catbefriender

Thanks Welsh Wizard perhaps I should have stated schools are attempting to attract a wealth of young first class graduates.

You mentioned primary schools and also over 40s, but it is particularly the over 50s who are really being discriminated in all industries.

4. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

First of all, thank you for an informative and interesting thread @catbefriender

• Will over 50s who have been hounded ot of the profession be keen to return to it anyway?
    • Hasn't there always been a high turnover of young graduates who take a PGCE / get NQT while they decide what they really want to do/ as a back up career/ to please their parents before they attempt that riskier career. This is of course worsened now by schemes like Teach FIrst who specifically promote teaching as a pathway to other careers.
    • Professsionals with a wealth of experience and proven committment to education returning to work, probably for less wages and consequently a lower final pension....yes, I think that the tide might well turn. But I doubt that equivalent pay packets to those that they previously earned will. They will say that things have moved on, and that the older teachers will need retraining, or something.

tonymars likes this.
  5. catbefriender

My thoughts are that when more exciting opportunities open up for the younger teachers, e.g. Brexit meaning less younger Europeans coming over etc., the over 50s will be viewed as back ups/last resorts and the fact that they will be making up 1/3 of the workforce still won't change SLTs' attitudes of wanting 'energetic' younger teachers.

And to answer your first point, I don't think the older teachers who have been hounded out, will want to return.

galerider123 likes this.
  6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

When I got into teacher recruitment it was the early years of this century- yes I do look like my avatar- there were teacher shortages and difficulty in filling posts. So much so that we had to go overseas to recruit. Sounds familiar, but the difference was in the Government response and the investment then made in teacher training. Now we are actually in a worst situation as the lack of a coordinated Government response means the situation continues ..
    Teacher recruitment will continue to be a problem in some areas for the foreseeable future. In areas where there are large numbers of new teachers being trained then gaps are being plugged- in other areas it will continue to get worst.

galerider123 likes this.
  7. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Schools will continue to take on younger staff irrespective of skills or experience or qualifications. No doubt about it. In most schools where the govt really doesn't give a **** . Anyone is their 50s who is not already in a job is well and truly ****** . Sad I know but this is my homest perception.

8. catbefriender

Hi Tony

I think we are kindred spirits as you have absolutely echoed my thoughts. I pray we are both proved wrong. But I think the chances of getting back into teaching in your 50s is a one digit percentage if you're female and in the early teens if you're male.

As for trying to get back in, when in your 60s...........

9. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Hi Cat

Kindred spirits sounds good to me.

I think the thing tovavoid is a spiral of negative thoughts.

10. catbefriender

Hi Tony

I don't think we are being negative just honest and realistic. I was at a Maths training event over the summer and I met this brilliant Maths teacher, aged 54, with an A level, a degree and PGCE in Maths plus 12 years HoD experience and she hasn't had a response to an application in over a year. Yes she is not in London, but Maths vacancies are everywhere. A group us oldies formed a circle at break time and had a chat about age discrimination.