1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food being moved out of DT

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by carmic76, Jan 28, 2011.

1. My school is currently going through a restructuring progam and we are moving in to facilities.
    The food area of DT will now come under the Health facility. I was wondering whether this has happened in any other schools, and how it has effected the teaching and assessment of the subject.

2. My school is currently going through a restructuring progam and we are moving in to facilities.
    The food area of DT will now come under the Health facility. I was wondering whether this has happened in any other schools, and how it has effected the teaching and assessment of the subject.

3. I think this is a good idea. Maybe now there can be more emphasis on learning how to prepare healthy meals, rather than learning how to design and make a ready meal and learning about the manufacturing process.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Agreed, Food is so skills based that it can only benefit the pupils to learn 'How to Do' rather than design and make.

5. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

agreed!

most of the time food is only in DT as it is traditionally in the same kind of option blocks. If you want to get away from the "technology" aspect and all the design stuff. Why not change to hospitality or something.

6. I really hope this is a trend that continues. I get the impression that food was only included in the DT curriculum because somebody forgot about it when the national curriculum was originally written and it had to be slotted in somewhere.
    We teach food and nutrition now:
    I love it
    The kids love it
    The results are great so SLT love it too.
    Win, win, win

7. Yes perdita you are right- it was a scary time for us old style food teachers and now we supposedly are compulsory at KS3 at least. What the ebacc review will do to us and the rest of DT at KS4 and 5 will remain to be seen. This summer will definately be the right time for me to retire!

8. Food at KS3 was going to be compulsory from September 2011 under the old government - this could now subject to change under the current one.

9. Food to go with PSE/Healthy living
    Engineering/Electronics to go with Science
    Textiles, RM to become Life Skills
    Graphics to go to Art
    ?