1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food and Nutrition Vs Food Technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mallydoyle76, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Can anybody help me please.
    I am currently teaching Food and Nutrition, I enjoy it, I think the puplis enjoy it(most of the time) but the majority of the kids who opt for the subject are the grade C - E kids who seem to struggle with the theory side.
    I have been told that Food Technology is slightly easier in terms of understanding the theory elements but looking through the SOW i beg to differ. It also seems the practical element is very repetitive in terms of development.
    Has anybody taught both subjects. What are your views? I am 1 year in to my teaching career and need some advice please
    Many Thanks
    Mal

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Keep going on food and nutrition food tech is so repetitive in the the testing etc, it's boring!

3. I found Food and Nutrition was too hard in terms of theory for the lower ability, I know its supposed to be heavy on the nutrition content but even so, it does drag on a bit. Although the GCSE results were similar, we had to do loads of extra lessons and tuition to keep it there.
    If it was my choice we would stick to F&N but we ended up with catering as it suits the Lower ability better.

4. Thanks, i will take your advice on board

5. Catering. Every student wants to be the best chef they can be.