1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fonts and Layout in Professional Publications

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TimDog, Feb 28, 2020.

1. TimDog

TimDog New commenter

Why is it that professional organisations - IoP, RSB, RSC, CLEAPSS, ASE to name but a few - write their Primary School journals and similar in a larger sized font along the lines of Arial or, heaven forbid, Comic Sans yet Secondary publications have smaller font size are invariably fonts with Serif such as good old Times New Roman?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I like any font which still includes ash, thorn, wynn, eth and yogh.

mothorchid likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I though "fonts" was for baptising babies in?

5. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

sans-serif fonts, such as Comic Sans are designed for easier reading for people with lower levels of literacy, vision problems or dyslexia. However there are much better and more 'professional' sans-serif fonts available than Comic.

If I open a publication or see anything professional written in Comic sans, it immediately gets ignored.

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A bit snobbish to regard such publications in this or that print style as uneducated. The vast majority of folks writing or reading do not even understand fonts, and as long as it is clear they will read it or use it.
    No wonder everyday folk do not read your work..or maybe you do not want the great 'unwashed' to do so!

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

There is published evidence that sans serif fonts are easier to read. I cannot remember where I discovered this, but it was many years ago. I use arial almost exclusively, for many reasons, but I am not producing such materials, just fiction, and for adults.

border_walker likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One reason for using Comic Sans for primary children is that the a is the same as the way we write it, not the way it is generally printed (except in early reader books.

For early readers, imagine being faced with a crucial letter like a, which looks nothing like the a you have learned to read and write.

Pageant and (deleted member) like this.
  9. oldsomeman

I always used a roman something font in my writing but I never had problems communicating with child or adult. If the wanted too they read it..otherwise, they did not. It pretentious to think your educated because you only advocate one font style.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

About 20 years ago now when I started to write websites I spent quite a long time researching which font to use (and colours and layout etc.) and all the evidence said that sans-serif fonts were easier to read on a screen and serif fonts easier on paper. So I've used Arial on screen ever since.

I've always hated Comic Sans.

[​IMG]

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I like Comic Sans!

T34, Pageant and (deleted member) like this.
  12. TimDog

TimDog New commenter

The OP was a statement about professional journals and magazines using different fonts for different professional audiences. For me the question is why do they do this?

13. TimDog

TimDog New commenter

I'm talking about professional publications and the differences in fonts used for Primary v Secondary v FE/HE staff.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I'd think it more likely than not that most people in this modern age know what a font is and a great many will know that Comic Sans is generally pitched at a certain intellectual ability. All text formatting including fonts
    will make an impression on the reader, and it is professional to take that into consideration when producing written work.

15. oldsomeman

I except you may wish to present work in certain ways but I am unsure may folks know the difference between fonts, other than really obvious ones such as italics and other more extreme variants.
    Can folks show me the evidence how they reach such conclusions
    It is still pretentious to believe yours is superior, even if it has always been used that way.
    Words are words and as long as they are clean, presentable and well written it makes NO difference to the value of the article other than some idea all words should be written in a somehow superior font.
    If you quote the size of the font, or mixing fonts, then I might agree differently, or indeed the grammar of such work.
    I understand views about which font to use and maybe why. I understand an organisation wishing to have a certain style or font used and as you state does make an impression, but surely the arguments contained within the writing is far more important, as long as readable. Yes, I understand the presentation and viewing by the reader as acceptable to them but will changing the font really subtract from the arguments contained within?. Anything else has to be viewed as some intellectual snobbery as it controls your writing and presentation.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Printed fonts are clearer if serif (or so I found out years ago) presumably this difference becomes more pronounced when the font size is smaller. Sans serif for primary as it seems more "Friendly" and it is less important if serif or sans-serif at a larger font size.

colacao17 likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There are some supposedly Dyslexic-friendly fonts, although the jury is still out on their effectiveness.

They definitely affect readability for the average reader, and fonts create unconscious messages about corporate image where web publishing is concerned. Most fonts aren't intended for pages full of paragraphed text - they're meant for short sentences and titles on displays.

18. TimDog

TimDog New commenter

No one has yet addressed the original OP:

Professional organisations write publications for Primary school staff in Primary school font, Secondary and FE/HE in a sarif font, at smaller size. Why?

TheoGriff likes this.
  19. TimDog

TimDog New commenter

This is hard work. Like trying to get students to answer the question set, not what is on their mind!

TheoGriff likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

How about setting some rules which apply to responses to your OP? ;)

Mangleworzle likes this.