1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Font used for powerpoints and resources..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salsera, Oct 13, 2019.

1. salsera

salsera New commenter

Hi
    I was a secondary school teacher in a previous life and now I work for an organisation that goes into Primary schools to give talks to the pupils.
    I just wondered that with the appearance of cursive writing as the way forward, should PowerPoint presentations and resources that we create reflect the use of cursive handwriting. I'd like to ensure that the resources we use support the practice within schools.
    Many thanks
    Sal

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some swear by cursive.
    Some swear by pre-cursive until year 2 and then cursive.
    Some swear by print until ready to join.
    Some..........

Schools are all different, the font you use is irrelevant.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Most books are print - I can't see that a PowerPoint using print would be a problem. The youngest children won't be reading the words on the PowerPoint anyway, and older children will be entirely used to print if they ever read "real books".

4. salsera

salsera New commenter

Thanks - it’s to year 4.
    Just didn’t want to use a non cursive font and schools used a cursive. But hey what you mean - suppose it’s different

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My only rule is that the a should be like a comic sans ‘a’ not like they appear here, otherwise the kids start drawing lids on them all.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Some schools like to work with fonts which are easier for dyslexic children to read.

Some prefer cream backgrounds and say that these are easier for dyslexic children than white backgrounds.

You could always ask the school in question if they have any guidance for you in this one.

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

The other thing is that not all cursives are the same - most do a curly k but some opt for a straight; f can vary considerably, some choose an algebra X and a Victorian z. See https://www.cursivewriting.org/joined-cursive-fonts.html

Then there are the semi-cursive styles (there's probably a technical name but I have no idea what it is) where descenders are not joined...

Then there are the schools which have opted for something completely bizarre...

8. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

9. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Salsera, c'est bien toi? ça va?!

My schools use cursive fonts like Letterjoin. However, I always use Comic Sans in my ppts because I can guarantee that whichever computer I use (different classroom each lesson) that font will be recognised. If you were going to use a cursive font you'd have to make sure that the slides were formatted in such a way that the font would appear properly.

1 person likes this.
  10. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

There’s an option you can select when saving a PowerPoint file to embed the fonts in it. The newest versions of PowerPoint even download missing fonts automatically for all files.