1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Font and spacing

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bethany2009, Nov 14, 2011.

1. What is the best font to use on a personal statement. Also do I necessarily need to space out the personal statement. If so how much spacing do I need between lines.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've always preferred Arial, pt 12 (do not do any smaller than 12). Others will recommend Times New Roman, which is accetable but not as easy to read as Arial - and what you want is for your statement to be easier to read than your competitors' statements.
    You need to paragraph your statement and double space between paragraphs.

3. I might have lost a job then as I did a font of 10 with double line spacing and two full pages.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I doubt if it would be thrown out for that, so don't worry.
    It needs to look professional (so NOT Comic Sans or similar - stick to Times Roman, Arial or possibly Calibri) and readable, so font size 12, single spaced, double line spacing between paragraphs, and preferably not justified - that's when the RH of the paragraphs is all in one straight line. This looks old fashioned nowadays.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. I feel a bit better but next time I will certainly use arial 12 with double spacing. Thank you for your replies.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er, no.
    Single spacing, then a double space between paragraphs.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars