1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Following on from the tattoos thread, what about facial piercings?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargoyle770, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Blaqk_Rose

Blaqk_Rose New commenter

I have a nose piecing... I was advised by a curriculum tutor not to wear it in a placement school but they were actually fine about it. I've warn it to interviews and never had a comment made about it, and have secured two teaching jobs with it in without anyone saying I'd have to take it out!

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

[​IMG]

3. But I find it entertaining and edifying when worms spill out everywhere!
    For myself, I think it is unattractive and not really fitting unless you're a Hindu woman, in which case it's embedded in your culture, I believe? I think for a non-Hindu woman to do it it's like a non-Jew wearing a skullcap.
    Unless you think it looks nice, I guess. I find I have to look extra hard to make sure it's a stud not a mole or blemish of some sort, and I find myself wondering about what happens when you blow your nose and that leads me into thoughts I'd rather not have.
    Certainly if you stop wanting to wear it you're left with a scar/hole, which nobody really wants, do they?

4. harsh-but-fair

Tongue piercings - what's that all about ?

5. I always understood they were to enhance fellatio. Which pronouncement went down pretty badly with my daughter's 17 year old boyfriend when he had his done...
    It "fell out" on the same day, sadly, and although the studio offered to redo it for free (£35 outlay!!) he hasn't taken them up on their offer.
    And I promise Mr Rusty and I only referred to him as gay-boy a few dozen times!!

6. harsh-but-fair

I've heard that too.

Fancy advertising to people that you need a metal bar through your tongue to be any good at it ....

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I wore a nose stud in 3 schools but then was asked to remove it for another - which was fine, however, it did wind me up that the same rule did not seem to apply to everyone!

8. Young lady, slightest hint of a spot, out comes the makeup.
    Same young lady will mutilate face and stick some metal into it.

Never have figured it out.

9. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Facial piercings? Like banging a nail into tree trunk. Doesn't make the tree any more attractive.

10. Apart from the way they look, should teachers be allowed to wear them? Are they in your school? Would a facial piercing (and I guess nose is the most common (interpret that however you like - I know how my mum would read that!!) therefore least extreme) make you choose another candidate if a pierced one and an unpierced one were otherwise equal?

11. harsh-but-fair

Welcome back to TES, Shifter ....

12. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I'm only here because I've managed to find Matron's interweb password.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Saw a photo of my son's new girlfriend and she has nose piercings. Decided on the spot I wouldn't like her because of them. Met her for the first time an hour ago. She is such a lovely girl and not at all how I imagined. Never judge a book and all that...

14. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Hide the magnets.....

15. I'm so glad your son's girlfriend has changed your perceptions.
    I have facial piercings. I also have a lot of piercings that have healed up. I have no scars, no boils, no horrible marks at all. It's impossible to see where they were.
    I don't get piercings to try and make myself more attractive. I just like them. In much the same way you may wear a necklace because you think it's pretty or have your hair cut because you fancy a new style.
    I don't wear them in the classroom though. I understand the need to look professional. I wouldn't wear jeans in the classroom. It's the same thing to me.

16. I had a pierced nose for the first few years of me teaching - used to take the stud out as I got to school, then put it in again once the children left for the evening (it was an old enough piercing for me to be able to do that). The kids (and parents) saw me around the local area and knew I had a nose stud, but no comments were ever raised about it since it didn't appear when I was at work. It's since closed up purely as I gradually lost all my supply of spare studs for it and never got round to getting more.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's called growing up. The same thing almost happened to me. [​IMG]

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have a pierced belly button................but never show that at school! [​IMG]

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Facial piercings make people look like they've had an industrial accident, a bit of swarf from the lathe has shot up and stuck in their face.
    The small silver or gold studs look like zits.
    Still I imagine it makes the wearers think they're a bit "edgy".