1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Following on from car accident thread on Friday...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by unhappylil, Apr 13, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Previous post -
    I am sat here in tears which is ridiculous I know. On my way to work I was involved in a minor car collision. I pulled over to swapped details, after swapping details the woman was saying it was my fault, which I am 99.9% sure it was not. I haven't had my car very long at all and it is the most money I have ever spent on anything so I wouldn't dare do anything stupid where I might damage it, I am a very safe driver.
    When I got to work I called the insurance company and reported the accident and explained what had happened, the insurance company said it appeared the other party was liable. When I left work I had a message to say the other person was claiming it was my fault (which I kind of expected as she was saying it after it happened). They have asked me to send a diagram and my account of the accident.
    I just feel really stressed about it and I honestly do not think it was my fault. Never had anything like this happen before so I am not really sure how to react, I think I am still in shock and feel sick.

Update - I am really struggling, am trying to put everything out of my mind but I just don't feel comfortable in my car anymore. I would like to sell my car if I could and go back to one like I used to have but I don't even know if I can do that with the insurance claim going on and I don't how much money I would lose on the car. I feel so stressed that I cannot sleep. Don't know what to do, but I just don't want this car anymore. [​IMG]
    </td></tr></table>

2. Many years ago, I was driving through a crossroads (on a green light) when I was aware of a car coming towards me from my right. He slammed into me, crushing the right side of my car and showering both myself and my youngest daughter (6 months old and in rear facing car seat) in glass. I was hysterical and couldn't free myself but had the foresight to ask a person who was trying to help me to stop the traffic on the opposite side of my green light to get their names as witnesses, which they did.
    The b*st*rd who hit me actually accused ME of going through a red light, whilst telling the police officers and ambulancemen that his brother was some high ranking officer in the local police force.
    He was found guilty of 'driving without due care and attention' (an <u>understatement</u> in my opinion). My car was a write-off and my daughter and I eventually received compensation for our injuries.
    However, I still can't believe how someone could lie so blatantly, especially after injuring a baby!!

3. It is still ongoing. I was stationary, she drove into the back of me but because she is refusing to accept liability we are going through court proceedings.

4. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

You should win. I am surprised it has got as far as court. Her insurers should simply pay up. I've only ever known it go any other way if someone shunted her, or she claims you reversed into her (eg on a hill start) and there are no witnesses.

5. It's pretty horrible being involved in any accident and the paperwork can drag on but just make sure that you do your bit and hand it all over to the insurers. There is no need to worry from then on and any contact from the other party must be referred to them - just say, 'I am sorry, you must contact my insurers direct' and put the phone down. Make sure that you log any contact and tell your insurers and pass on any letters should you get any.
    Otherwise, I would suggest that you see your GP as these feelings are a little out of proportion and perhaps are a result of something else that could do with being sorted (?), It's going to sound a little harsh but if a car accident in which no-one gets hurt is the worst that life throws at you, you should really count yourself lucky. Obviously though, you may have other problems for which this is just the last straw - do try, though, to put things in perspective and be thankful that it's just a hunk of metal that is damaged and not something more critical.