1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Folk Tales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chitchen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. chitchen

chitchen New commenter

I am following the guidance given in our local authority plans which states we should use a story called 'The Lancashire Giant'. However, finding the said story is proving to be very difficult. Does anyone have a copy of the story that I could have or does anyone know where I could purchase a copy? Thank you in advance for any help given.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If the Local Authority require you to use it the LA library is your best first to place.
    Have you checked there isn't a copy in school?
    It may be in a collection of local folk tales for example.

3. chitchen

chitchen New commenter

Thank you Lara. I have since found out that the story is only available through Espresso, which our school does not subscribe to.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Adelepink23

Adelepink23 New commenter

5. Adelepink23

Adelepink23 New commenter

Hi I am having the same problem!! Does anyone have a copy they could post or send me as I cannot access this story and I've just done all my planning, it would be very greatly appreciated,

Thank you x

6. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I suggest you approach your local education authority with this problem. The buck stops with them. If they want it taught they can direct you to the resources. Keep phoning them, e-mailing them, skype-ing them (lol), texting them. Be resilient. Tell them you need an answer before September 10th!
    If possible get a name. If Miss Trunchbull thought this one up be relentless in your pursuit of Miss Trunchbull. Ask Miss Trunchbull how you can access the story? How can your school subscribe to Espresso given LEA budgets etc? Where could the school cut back in order to ssubscribe to espresso? Could Miss Trunchbull suggest an alternative source of resources? What does Miss Trnchbull think you should do if you cannot prepare the lessons in time? Why did Miss Trunchbull think this was an effective resource? Is there an alternative? Has Miss Trunchbull actually taught this? Is there a cheaper alternative which is just as enjoyable? How is this story relevant to the large amount of Ethnic minorities in your class? How could you differentiate? What about Jack and the Beanstalk instead?
    Miss Trunchbull is obviously a world-wide expert on The Lancashire Giant therefore she must be referred to on all occasions and her opinion constantly sought. If you have colleagues in other schools it would be great if they could contact her about The Lancashire Giant too. 3 times a day should be sufficient in order to answer all of your queries. If the kids are not completely wow-ed by The Lancashire Giant perhaps you could feed back to Miss Trunchbull and say they enjoyed X more.

7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

The Lancashire Giant is a book about David Shackleton a Labour Leader. Obviously you must have a very left wing council who believe in drawing children into politics at a very early age. It is available on Amazon. 10-25 pounds a copy. There you are. Go teach.
    There is also a book about Lancashire Folk Tales which is available at 9-99.
    Ring the council. Ask them if they want you to teach David Shackleton or whether the Folk Tales may be a suitable alternative.

8. stephaniejanejohnson

stephaniejanejohnson New commenter

The transcript link is at the top right hand side of the Espresso page video link for The Lancashire Giant

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Sir Elias Gigas, the giant of Worsley?

[​IMG]