1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Folders of achievement/Personal Learning Plans

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by coaltown1, Jun 15, 2011.

1. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

My school do them and am interested to know who is still doing these and what format they are in.

2. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

We do Records of Achievement.....bound folders with their first piece of work ever done in Reception, a few pieces, chosen by the children, in every year group that they are with us, their Super Smiley awards, Headteacher's certificate, attendance certs etc etc and presented to them at the Leavers' Assembly on their last day in Year 6....is that what you meant?

3. I have been in two schools where PLPs have been used - ranging from all singing all dancing bound A3 books where the children use them as a place to document personal research/learning across all subjects (e.g. they would head a page up Verbs and write down what they know about verbs, create games about verbs on the page, have pop outs on the page and make them really creative and colourful - they could also be taken home to be completed) to a smaller A5 sized document where the child's own personal development (academic/social) goals are recorded for say a term after discussion between pupil and teacher and then there is space for self reflection/assessment at the end of the term, also space for the child to write any personal achievements in or outwith school. However, in both types the document was very much the child's - whereby they got to personalise it e.g. design the front page, have an all about me page where they could put pictures of themselves/family members/pets - this has seemed to work well as the children are enthusisatic about them and they are used successfully with all ages.

4. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

There seems to be a huge difference between schools/regions and I was curious as to whether people are still doing them. I know some schools in our region are not doing them and some do more, some less. Ours is an A4 folder with the child's personal details, signed agreement between child/parent/school, and class expectations at the front. Then each term we set targets for each child for each subject - 4 for number, 4 for language and 1 for each of the other subjects. We have to enclose evidence for each subject and the child traffic lights their own progress which is then commented on by the teacher. At the end of the year we write a slightly shorter report for each child.
    All this has to be photocopied at the end of the year too.
    We were told by an EIS rep that these folders should be changed to something e.g.a Learning log which does not require so much time to upkeep but our Head is not keen.
    Thanks for the replies.