1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Focus sentence work where do I start?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clairebear1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I have been asked to teach a group of year 1s and a group of year 2s, about 10 in each group, focused Literacy sessions - so basing the lessons on sentence structure; capital letters, full stops, etc that sort of thing.
    One problem....I have no idea where to start! Can anyone give me a brief outline of where to start, what to do first, ideas for activities etc. Each session will be about 30-40 minutes.
    Thanks.

2. sadika

sadika New commenter

Would suggest a posting on primary ...

3. Hi, you need to start by clarifying what a sentence is. Give verbal examples of sentences/ not sentences so they can hear that it's a group of words that make sense. They can give verbal examples of sentences relating to themselves or topics of interest. When youve established the criteria for 'what makes a good sentence' Move on to written examples of sentences and what arnt give loads of examples. Chop up sentences and rearrange words. Keep the subject content fun ie relate to tv program, singers, or good old silly stuff. Hope that gives u some ideas. Eve

4. I use a simple success criteria sentence check list with Y1. I go on and on that a sentence needs 4 things: Capital letter, finger spaces, a full stop and to make sense. I have a laminated sheet with a picture of these 4 things and a box next to each one so that when they have written their sentence, they can check it has the key elements and tick them off, then wipe clean before writing another one. Another good thing to do is to use the IWB and movable words. Write a sentence and some extra words which can be swapped with some of the ones there and have fun making silly sentences. This is good to show that a silly sentence can still make sense and to get discussion about what doesn't make sense. (Eg swapping a verb for a noun).