1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Focus Learning Trust school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tyahiya, Aug 26, 2011.

1. hi

has anyone worked in a Focus Learning school? Could you tell me what it is like in comparison to main stream secondary school.
    thanks

2. hi

has anyone worked in a Focus Learning school? Could you tell me what it is like in comparison to main stream secondary school.
    thanks

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Yes - it is fantastic - great kids, small classes, incredibly supportive parents. Yes, you need to get used to the quirks and foibles, and the restrictions on books, websites etc, but I love working there.
    Private message me for more info (I have so much respect for them that I don't want to go against the Brethren's overall policy of withdrawal by chatting too freely on an open forum)

4. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I had never heard of them before your post. Interesting to google and read about them but I would suggest tyahlya that posting here about them shows that you haven't got to grips with their beliefs!

5. doomzebra

nonsense

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I Googled them as well. I was amused to find they do have a website...

7. doomzebra

Most EB homes do now have internet access, albeit with strictly controlled content

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

...And they drive cars. Their exclusivity seems to be diminishing by the day. Might one presume, if they've now removed their opposition to the internet, that they're also using phones?

9. doomzebra

Yes, again with restrictions

10. on the contrary, i did exactely the same as you and then i thought i'd ask other for personal experiences as you should never jujst listen to one aspect of what you read...:) and there was bound to be someone out there that had that experience...despite not being part of that community. I got some very positive feedback. have agreat day. got all the answers i needed. have fun debating :)

11. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I obviously misunderstood what had been written on the Focus Learning Trust site from which I quote:

They find their life together, spend time in each others houses world wide, keep separate from the world of sport and entertainment, and do not have radio or TV.

The Only Site Endorsed by the Exclusive Brethren from which I quote:

The Exclusive Brethren practice separation from evil, recognising this as God's principle of unity. They shun the conduits of evil communications: television, the radio, and the Internet.[

12. doomzebra

Yes, this is true
    Which is why their Internet use is via their own ISP which strictly climits what is available

13. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Thanks for the clarification.