1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flying with a baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by clematis, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Hi all- I know this has been covered before but just wanted to know a few specifics: we are flying to the US next week and I'm just wondering if you can take powered milk and/or cartons of ready made formula on the plane? I'm presuming you can but does anyone know if there are any guidelines? from what i can see from googling it appears all is Ok and you can buy the cartons in Boots at the airport if necessary. Anyone any recent experience of a 10 hour flight with a 10 month old?! Thanks!

2. Hi all- I know this has been covered before but just wanted to know a few specifics: we are flying to the US next week and I'm just wondering if you can take powered milk and/or cartons of ready made formula on the plane? I'm presuming you can but does anyone know if there are any guidelines? from what i can see from googling it appears all is Ok and you can buy the cartons in Boots at the airport if necessary. Anyone any recent experience of a 10 hour flight with a 10 month old?! Thanks!

3. cleamatis, can't really help but why don't you ring the airline. I would have thought it is in everyone's interest that you can feed your LO! otherwise it will be a very loud flight!!! x

4. Yes you can take formula on planes - you will just be asked to test it when you go through security. I have flown several times with kids since security was stepped up after 9/11. Sometimes they have not even noticed that I have had bottles of water with me. I have taken drinks bottles for the 3 and 6 yr old too without problems.
    Same goes for liquidy baby food.
    And yes, there is always a boots selling ready made past security too (assuming you are flying from a major airport) - you could always phone them to check they have the right one in stock if that is what you want to do.
    Go on the airlines website and you should be able to find plenty of details in the FAQ (even Ryanair gives info, so others ought to).

5. I've been on a fair few flights and the security regarding baby bottles is different at every airpot bizarrly! I have had to taste the milk at Heathrow (even though it was in pre mixed cartons, I had to open one of them and put it in a bottle and taste it). The airlines have all been really helpful though, esp when I've flown on my own. Oooh, am jealous! Let me know how the jet lag goes, as I haven't conquered that one yet, although will be doing so next year!

6. i've flown regularly with my two chilren since they were young - the prepacked acrtons were always a problem. you need to open them and taste. but having bottles of water and lots of powder worked ok - just need to taste the water.
    one issue i did however find is the air pressure caused all my bottles to leak once in the air - so have now learnt to loosen the tops slightly before take off - just position them in the pouch in front of seat.

7. Thanks everyone- particularly strip re: water in bottles- very useful. We went and now we're back and the flying was fine, but now we have JETLAG!! Any ideas?! I resorted to letting her scream last night and it broke my heart :-(