1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flying into Tokyo mid march and searching for work

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Pasha, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Pasha

Pasha New commenter

Hi
    I am thinking of flying to Japan to look for a tecahing post Mid March? I have found it difficult searching for a position outside the country. I have had no replies to posts I have applied for. Is it worth me flying over to Tokyo for a couple of weeks and trying my luck? Dont really want to do this as it will cost a bit, even though im only flying from China, but it maybe my last resort.

Anyone with this sort of experince/dilemma would be much appreciatted.

all the best
    pasha

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I have never tried such a ploy, so cannot speak to its feasibility. I have taught in Japan for two years and was a representative on the Japan Council of International Schools. My first thought was that I couldn't see why/how this move would be successful for you.
    Can you explain exactly how you would plan to pursue this? Would you just walk into a school and ask to see the principal? Would you call for an appointment? If you are calling, couldn't you do that now, from China? I agree that not hearing anything back from schools you have applied to is frustrating, but I'm not certain how being in the country is actually going to change that for you. It would seem that if you have a great desire to teach in Japan, you will need to really be proactive early on in the hiring season (like possibly going to a job fair where a large number of Japanese schools are planning to attend). There have been some jobs posted at some decent schools in Japan, but many of them have already been filled (although there will always be some late breaking openings of course).
    I'm interested to hear more about how you are thinking of doing this.