1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flying back to the UK for jobs

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by goldfish69, Mar 15, 2016.

1. goldfish69

goldfish69 New commenter

I an currently working at an International School in Africa. I am in the first year of a 2 year contract. For personal reasons I am thinking of breaking contract and have discussed this with the Headteacher. He has made it clear he wants me to stay but has been very understanding. I got short listed for a job last week but decided against going for the interview as flights back are costly. I have just found out I've been short listed for another job Head of Centre, PRU), interviewing next week. It is a really good job and the location is good. I looked on the website and see they currently have an Acting Head. I'm reluctant to go through the stress of flying back if I'm just there to make up numbers, obviously I'm assuming Acting Head will have gone for the position. Please advise.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's impossible for any of us to know if you're shortlisted "just to make up numbers", but I will make the following points.

1. Presumably, the shortlisting panel/person know that you're currently overseas, so it's unlikely they've invited you purely to "make up numbers" as they'd know it would cost you a great deal to attend.

2. Internal candidates are often beaten by externals. I beat a longstanding internal candidate to both my secondary headships.

3. The Acting Head might already have secured a post elsewhere, or might have found the post too stressful or onerous.

But we don't know, do we?

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nice analysis of the options there, @Middlemarch . I'll add a 4th

4. they don't know that you are Overseas because they didn't read carefully the name of your current school, and the panel themselves don't know your address because it was part of the Personal Details Page that was removed before they saw it.

:(

As MM says, we don't know. And neither do you . . . I have been appointed as an internal when there has been an Acting . . .

Have you found the interview advice articles? There are loads of them! Tag me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.