1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flyer Beware

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Feb 27, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm quite cross at the way mr inky hae been treated by a long-haul carrier today. It's not the first time but certainly the most blatant and I'm posting this as a warning to other tessers planning to travel together.
    We booked a return flight together, with adjacent seats reserved. That was part of the deal. All was fine on the flight out but, this morning, when we arrived tonad over our luggage, ther woman behind the counter took ages and spent a lot of time looking at our passports. When she handed us our boarding cards, we saw that we had been seated ten rows apart. Mr inky said that we had seats reserved together so ther must have been a mistake. The woman replied that the 'flight was very full' and this was her sole attempt at an explanation.
    Mr inky - not one to be easily intimidated - repeated that our adjacent seats were reserved. The flight was very full, came the reply. We pointed at the nearby supervisor and told her what had happened. 'Give them their seats' she said, and we got the two seats [same numbers as on the way out] immediately.
    I'm really cross about this. The person who took it upon herself to separate us had no reason to do so other than that we have different surnames. She expected us to submit meekly to such treatment, even though it would have meant being apart and without an aisle seat for a twelve hour flight. The fact that our original seats were so quickly restored to us when we made a fuss indicates that there is some sort of company policy at play here. U'm going to complain to the company.
    So, be careful. Book together [you can't really complain if you book sperately] andreserve adjacent seats. If this isn't possible - and it isn't always - make dman sure the company know that you are together and expect to be seated together.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

mr inky and I
    we arrived to check in

Please excuse typos. Very tired!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have seen this very scheme at work with Singapore airlines favouring people who haven't bothered to book their seats in advance and who want to sit together over those who have taken trouble to ensure they get the seats they want. I have complained too. Who did you fly with, inky?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd rather not say on here but a reputable enough national company.
    Still cross today - it was so slyly and dishonestly done.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

As the air carrier would have gained no advantage from splitting you up, I feel that this is much more likely be due to a mistake rather than to dishonesty

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not quite, doom. The woman had our reservation in front of her and changed it, with lots of looking at passports and adjustments etc.. When told to put us together by her superisor, she was able to do so immediately by giving us back the seats she'd just deprived us of.

7. I am also struggling to see why the company would do this

It would appear to be a rather odd decision on the part of an individual rather than a systematic decision to separate people with different surnames

I would also complain but about the specific employee

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I imagine that they had a late request for two seats together. Single inner seats are what individiual passengers tend to be lumbered with unless they reserve otherwise.
    Believe me, I'm not being paranoid. Mr inky saw her change the booking. When we were handedback seats together, they were the same numbers as on our outward flight.

9. doomzebra

how would the airline gain? are you suggesting their was a bung?

10. doomzebra

there, dammit

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Carrier with Islamic links?
    Having worked for many years in the Middle East I can confirm that some national carriers of Islamic countries take it on themselves to be moral guardians.

12. Everything you have said indicates a decision by an individual rather than company policy

13. What on earth do people in adjoining seats get up to on flights you are on Nomad?

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

We had exactly the same thing with Virgin. I think they just ignore the booked seats if someone comes along before you and requests those seats. I was really cross as we'd booked very early and carefully chosen the seats we wanted by the window and in the end were in the horrid middle section and our little boys couldn't look out of the window. The check in woman was really rude and treated us as if we were stupid for expecting to actually get the seats we'd booked! I really wish we'd made more of a fuss now. It still makes me cross. I hate companies who are so useless.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Looks like someone else had requested seats together and those people had been considered more worthy by the check out person( same nationality as her or more important in some way). Good on MrInky for standing his ground!

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Considering that airlines routinely overbook flights(or so heard),it's apparently silly of us to expect what we've booked months in advance.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's neither here nor there, really. It was a decision, though, and not a mistake.

18. I am glad Mr Inky was assertive. I hate bad service and people who are jobsworths. As you say, if it was so easy to switch the seats back again and give you what you asked for (and booked!) why on earth did the stupid check-in person feel she had the right to mess you around?
    I suspect far too many people roll over and accept this guff. It's not on.

19. Don't you usually have to pay a fee for pre-booking your seats? I know we have in the past. Traveliing with children (although not long-haul) we always pre-book to ensure we are together or at least evenly distributed between my husband and I.
    That would mean the airline was getting the fee and not honouring their part of the agreement.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

There was no fee - just a seat reservation [honoured on the way out] made on booking. Unless you have children or some other dependant person, it doesn't really matter so much for short flights but twelve hours is different!