1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fluffed the subject knowledge interview!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mercury80, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I'm applying to do secondary science (chemistry) via iteach, and had an interview yesterday. The group activity and the writing went ok, but I was asked subject specific knowledge at the interview and totally fluffed it. We were shown 3 pictures and asked to explain them. I just went blank, even at the most simple...grrrr. It is an enhanced PGCE but even still, I don't think they can take me based on that. Has anyone done similar and did they get in?

2. I'm applying to do secondary science (chemistry) via iteach, and had an interview yesterday. The group activity and the writing went ok, but I was asked subject specific knowledge at the interview and totally fluffed it. We were shown 3 pictures and asked to explain them. I just went blank, even at the most simple...grrrr. It is an enhanced PGCE but even still, I don't think they can take me based on that. Has anyone done similar and did they get in?

3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman New commenter

at my pgce interview at bishop grosseteste *shudders*.

I fluffed my interview in style and i mean in style. I still got a place, your not meant to be an expert at the start its continual learning and development by the end you should be able to do it. The enchaned PGCE is meant to get your science knowledge up to scratch if you could expertly answer all the questions at the start and do it all perfectly what would be the point of applying for an enchanced PGCE.

4. Hello-

I've got my interview this tuesday and I must say the subject knowlwdge bit has got me worried!!

Can I ask what questions they asked you? :)

I hope you get the answer you want from the course!

5. I only had two subject questions verbally and I ballsed both of them up. Answered them half right, and they were bio and phys so not 'my' subject, but still, not good answers. I still got in. We had some written questions which I think I answered well enough to offset my bumbling verbal answers.

Remember they will be looking at your application as a whole and unless its a competitive course (which it rarely is for science) then your allowed some leeway. Noone answers everyone 100% correctly. I think your demeanour is much more important than subject knowledge - you can brush up your subject knowledge but you *are* the person you are. Hope that makes sense and good luck with the wait!

6. Hi curlykat,
    Ive had an interview at IoE for Secondary Science. I got the feeling that they purposely asked questions about the areas of science you didn't know about. These are some of the questions they asked.

How does a candle burn?
    What is this reaction?
    How could you prove that the wax had been burnt to form carbon dioxide and water?
    How do you prove to a child the Earth is flat?
    Explain photosynthesis.
    Explain the change in mass between an acorn and an oak tree.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a solid molecular model (the balls/bonds) to represent, say, methanol?

I have a Physics background and some of my questions were quite detailed. These were:

What is the size of an atom?
    What is the wavelength of red light?
    The tutor pushed a car and explained that the chemical energy had become kinetic energy of the moving car, but where had the energy gone when it had stopped?
    What is entropy?
    How does this explain that fossil fuels are running out?
    What are the forces acting on a cup resting on a table?
    Is this an example of Newton's 3rd law? (Action/Equal and opposite reaction) The answer is actually No.
    What causes gravity?

General questions they gave in advance:
    Where Do the Stars Go in the Daytime?
    Why do you close a door to keep the sound out?
    Why the liquid in an egg becomes solid when we heat it and yet when we heat most liquids they evaporate?
    Why do we blow on a match to put the flame out and yet blow on a fire to make it burn?
    Can we replace gas power stations with wind turbines?
    How can mercury be a liquid when all when all other metals are solid at room temperature?
    Should the world start growing high level sugar producing crops in vast quantity to prepare for oil eventually running out?
    Do Humans need a heart?
    Would building nuclear power stations reduce global warmings?
    Is a dormant seed alive or dead?
    A tree is made from air and water ? is this true?
    If you stood on your head could you drink a glass of water through a straw?
    Is there any advantage in sending people to explore space rather than robots?

If you want help on the answers to the questions, let me know

7. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Sorry to hear that - it isnt easy when nervous to answer strange questions and I had a conventional PGCE interview last year as a trial which helped a lot

I think we were on the same interview as I went for an interview on Wednesday at CCU as well for iteach in Physics

I hope you get good news

8. Had the interview yeesterday... and well it was pretty awful!

All OK apart from the 78 written questions on physics!

I think that'll be a rejection then!!!

9. Dear Zulfi,

As you mentioned some of the questions you have been interviewed on can you please provide answers for them as soon as can, as i have got my interview in IOE this Montday the 2nd April. Especially for the bottom one.
    The tutor pushed a car and explained that the chemical energy had become kinetic energy of the moving car, but where had the energy gone when it had stopped?
    What is entropy?
    Is this an example of Newton's 3rd law? (Action/Equal and opposite reaction) The answer is actually No.
    What causes gravity?
    How does a candle burn?
    What is this reaction?
    How could you prove that the wax had been burnt to form carbon dioxide and water?
    Explain photosynthesis.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a solid molecular model (the balls/bonds) to represent, say, methanol?

you simply can give the anwers straight to me on vim_pre@yahoo.co.uk
    I would be much apreciated with your help.

thanks,
    vimal

10. Hi there
    I have an interview on friday for the same thing. would really appreciate your answers on the q's:
    How does a candle burn?
    What is this reaction?
    Explain photosynthesis.

What is entropy?
    What causes gravity?

are the questions your given specific to the subject i.e. biology, chemistry or biology

Thanks

11. You'll be OK as subject knowledge seems to have taken a back seat to generating National Curriculum levels through constant assessments.
    For example my daughter had a test question marked wrong which was 'What vitamins and minerals are needed for strong bones?'
    Her answer was Calcium and vitamin D, it was marked wrong by an experienced teacher because the mark scheme said it was calcium and vtamin B.

My other daughter's History teacher said that she knew very little about history apart from the GCSE syllabus.
    I despair...