1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flu vaccination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by border_walker, Sep 21, 2020.

1. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

We had our annual flu vaccination today. but for the first time we used Boots and got an explanation, not 100% effective, won't work for 2 weeks etc from the pharmacist. A much better experience than going to a doctors and the appointment system worked much better. In our case free, but felt that even if we had to pay the £10 charge, much better than using a doctor.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

TCSC47 and Sally006 like this.
  3. border_walker

Not according to your link:
    "Here is everyone who will be eligible for a free flu jab this year:

• People aged 50 and over
    • Pregnant women
    • People with certain health conditions, including kidney disease, asthma and heart disease
    • Carers and those in care homes
    • Frontline health and social care workers
    • Children over six months with a long-term health condition
    • Children aged two and three
    • Children in primary school
    • Children aged 11 by 31 August 2020
    • Anyone living in a household with somebody on the NHS shielded patient list"
    My wife has been eligible for some time, and I also got one free before we hit 65.
    Just checked on NHS site found:
    "Later in the year, the flu vaccine may be given to 50-64-year-olds." Which tallies with my memory of this being said when it was announced.

4. border_walker

My wife was also trying to persuade me to have a pneumonia jab as well. She has and thinking of taking her advice.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not yet, but it will be within a few weeks.

"Experts hope GP surgeries will focus on high-risk groups before those aged over 50 in the fit and healthy range."

Over 65 is considered to be a higher risk group than the 50 to 64s.

Truthful barstewards...

TheoGriff and border_walker like this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We've used Superdrug for flu vaccinations for years now. It's a walk-in service, so no need to book an appointment and no waiting around for the practice nurse to become free, as happens at the surgery.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Same article tells you to get the flu jab before the autumn hen the flu starts circulating. We (the 50-64 age group) were promised it. But at the time it needs to be taken it isn't available. Another Tory lie.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Usually, when we talk about the first day of autumn we are referring to the astronomical autumn which is defined by the Earth's axis and orbit around the Sun.

This year autumn begins on 22 September 2020 and ends on 21 December 2020.

Try tomorrow.

Edit: my local Tesco pharmacy have vaccines for NHS 50-64s patients. I suggest you search around.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I got the pneumonia jab and so did Maleficent.

border_walker, ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

we went to a local school on Saturday for our flu jab.The surgery had arranged it.Tested for virus with temp guage on way in, then queue for a minute, called overby doctor injected and off we went.Took 5 minutes max.

mothorchid likes this.
  11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

How do you get a pneumonia jab please?

12. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Got my flu jab at the local.pharmacy this morning .I have to pay but think it is worth it. Mr M has an appointment tomorrow his is free as he has diabetes. He also gets the pneumonia jab.

13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Had my over 65 flu jab on Saturday. Arm sore for 24 hours. GP had organised several flu jab stations in their car park so no queues. Got pneumonia jab a year ago as GP was doing them at the same time as flu. Pneumonia jab is valid for many years. When teaching I used to pay for a flu jab at the pharmacy. Nearly managed to get the governors to pay to vaccinate staff in my NUT rep role. Head was pro. Would have saved the school a lot of money.

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just ask at your local surgery or pharmacy. It is free for over-65s (but only around 50% effective, I believe and quite expensive if you have to pay).

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I had my first flu jab last year (when I was 65) and pneumonia jab offered at the same time. I had it. It's a one-off jab, lasts for ever apparently. Flu jab now booked for a couple of weeks time. Very short appointments - mine is 12.09, OH's is 12.10.

16. jazzed up

jazzed up New commenter

I was offered a pneumonia jab when I had my flu jab last year. I think my surgery offered them to anyone coming for free jab for the first time.

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Every time I’ve asked for that, I’ve been told there were no stocks. Do you not have to be 70 to be offered that? I thought you were just a young thing.

18. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I think you’re told it only lasts ten years. You need two.

Edited to add that our flu jabs aren’t available until October.

19. border_walker

What they actually said:
    "Free vaccine to be made available for people aged 50 to 64 later in the year" So no lie

nomad likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think there is an age criterion, possibly 65. I went for my annual flu jab a few years ago and was offered the once-only-needed pneumonia jab. Maleficent didn't want a flu jab before our daughter's wedding in case she was sick and spent the big day in a state of being close to collapse. She is more accepting of vaccinations now. I had a wonderful day.