1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

flu jabs available, go get one!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

Flu will make you more vulnerable to Covid, and Covid will make you more vulnerable to flu, and the combination will be lethal.

I hope all my friends on here will protect themselves by getting the flu jab at the first available opportunity

LiamD, JosieWhitehead and mothorchid like this.
  2. Corvuscorax20

Pneumonia jabs are available too, they are £70 at Boots. Neither immunisation is 100% effective, of course, but better get as much protection as possible

3. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I've decided to get one this year ( I'm in the vulnerable group so qualify every year ) as long as it doesn't contain egg .Ive had to go without for a couple of years because of it , but the nurse last year said th y are bringing out an egg free one this year . Let's hope so !

Corvuscorax20 likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not available on NHS in my surgery to those under the age of 65.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nice to see "private enterprise" cashing in on people's fears. (Not)

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Flu jabs are available at my surgery for under 65's if you are eligible, as usual. Nothing has changed. I have asthma and have just booked one for a couple of weeks time. I was given the pneumonia jab a few years ago when I attended for my annual flu jab.

nomad likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I had my flu jab yesterday at the local pharmacy. They have a walk up service, no booking required. I just had to wait around 10 minutes as there was one person before me.

JosieWhitehead and frangipani123 like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm booked in for one at Asda tomorrow afternoon.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Got mine booked for next month.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We got ours at the surgery marquee last week. It was hilarious - all the oldies lining up being jabbed. There was an outside art exhibition on in town and they did very well as everyone pottered off to see that once they'd been done.

bombaysapphire and strawbs like this.
  11. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm age-entitled to a free flu jab and I got mine this afternoon at my GP surgery, which rang me a week ago to give me an appointment time. Very well organised, plenty of signage, no entry without face covering, but one provided if arriving without. One-way system, entry at the front door, two treatment rooms along the corridor to get the injection and exit at the back door. Appointment time meant there was no queue this year. In previous years, people used to line up outside the surgery, greeting one another like long-lost friends!

12. Corvuscorax20

The jabs are on sale in supermarkets and pharmacies. I paid £12 for mine

maggie m likes this.
  13. Corvuscorax20

The pneumonia jab has been available from Boots for years, I had mine some years ago, once lasts a life time. Its slightly different to the NHS one that you become entitled to at 65, so it is worth getting both.

I don't see how you can class it as "private enterprise cashing on people's fears" any more than you can class grocers as "cashing in on people's hunger"

They are making a profit, that is how a company still exists next week.

They are providing a service you can buy or not buy, according to choice, but in the current circumstances, it would seem sensible to buy

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

5th October and Maleficent is going to get one with me.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Fine if you want to pay twice. Just in case you don't get it, you are/have been paying for the NHS all your life, but if you want to pay for what is still IMHO private enterprise cashing in, then fine. Maybe you support the wonderful Tories getting rid of the NHS so we all have to pay through the nose? Anerin Bevan must be turning in his grave.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

October 5th was the earliest I could get at Boots. Our practice will do a free one for over-50s but you're back of the queue. MrA is going to wait.

17. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Booked with the GP for just over a week away. Mr Nod too.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're getting vouchers through school so I can get mine done in Town.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I paid for mine at the local pharmacy last Saturday. Yesterday I found out my school will give out vouchers. I’m not going to lose sleep over £12.50. I didn’t want to wait to see if there was any left for under 65s at my surgery.

frangipani123 and Corvuscorax20 like this.
  20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Booked in now at Boots for the pneumonia jab as well next Friday.

Corvuscorax20 likes this.