1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flowers in hospital

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

In principle I guess not.
    But in practice you pay your money and take your choice.
    Indeed. Scary place Opinion.

2. Never mind maintaining flowers - in my recent hospital stay my little girl had to be fed through a nose tube - and one of the staff turned around to me point blank, after I'd repeatedly said although I was fine doing the tube feeds, I wasn't confident checking the position of the tube before each feed and needed help with that - "I'm not going to promise you help in doing this because it won't be available - deal with it"... they don't have the time for patient care full-stop... in the case of the day shift, yes they're overrun... in the case of the night shift - it seems to interfere with the hectic schedule of reading Heat magazine.
    We're facing possible readmission and I've cried most of the weekend in terror at the idea - because of a few bad apples of utterly uncaring staff and a system completely not set up to care for the type of patient we were (basically they shoved the babies who'd come out of NNICU onto a standard maternity ward until they were feeding and growing - so fairly long-term stays - and our "care" consisted of a ringbinder with a new sheet in every day with how much to feed that day, and spaces for us to log when and how much they were fed... that was it - there's your folder - get on with it and don't bother us, we're busy).
    As for little things - like privacy, or checking before barging through curtains, or, in the case of one very 1950s midwife - allowing you to have the curtains closed... no chance of that, or actually getting to EAT while in there - in their organisational genius - the neo-natal unit send the babies up onto the ward on a feeding schedule that directly clashes with the ward meal times - when this was pointed out after day 3 of me not getting anything to eat until visitors could bring me something in from the shop - I got the comment "oh well when you have a baby you often have to miss meals"... the fact that, if you're at home, you can go grab a yoghurt or something out of the fridge and it doesn't go on for days at a time with no alternative food options (unable to leave the ward unless I plonked the baby in a side room and prayed someone would go to her if she cried - surprisingly I wasn't going to take this option up) just completely passed them by... and I was troublesome (and yet again documented as such in my maternity notes which comprise a litany of my "sins" of a similar ilk) for pointing this out to them.
    Cleanliness? We had showers with used sanitary products sat in the shower cubicle for days on end, we had toilets with no loo roll - despite it being mentioned to staff twice over two days at least - for days on end, the place was filthy... oh and they've got a nice noticeboard at the entrance to the hospital bragging that they've only had X cases of MRSA that month... sorry but X cases are too many... I wouldn't wish having to go see a dying man in intensive care of an utterly preventable hospital infection on anyone.

3. MisterFibble - you now a mother?
    CONGRATULATIONS!

4. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

You clearly don't understand the issue around flowers in hospital wards, CQ.
    I haven't worked for some time as you know, but on a busy shift, where I didn't even get time to go to the toilet, I would have loved to have time to look after flowers.
    I did on occasion, stay back at the end of a shift to arrange flowers in a vase for a patient - I did it because I wanted to, and it was no hassle.
    I have been a member of staff on a ward which was not as clean as it should be, and I have been a patient in a ward which was not as clean as it should be.
    I remember a doctor one day trying to put a line in for a drip. He was only new, and it resulted in there being a lot of my blood all over the floor, and under the bed. I wasn't really out of bed, but after a day or two, I could smell a smell. The blood under the bed had not been cleaned up. The cleaning staff had cleaned the blood around the bed, but not the blood underneath it. In saying that, if I had been the doctor who spilt it (or the nurse), I would have immediately cleaned it myself and not left it for anyone else.
    I would have been horrified to let a patient use a toilet in the state described here. I would have cleaned it myself, before I would have let someone use it.
    Perhaps that is the problem really. Some nurses now think there job is beyond the basic things that matter. It is not and it never should be. There is no excuse for dirty wards.
    I do think it has a lot to do with cleaning being contracted out. When the "domestics" were part of the ward team, they would have been accountable to the Sister of the ward was not clean. There was a domestic supervisor on every shift who also went around checking the wards regularly.
    Every one from the ward sister down, knew they were part of a team, and knew that they all had their part to play in caring for the patient.
    At weekends, the "weekend cleaning" was done on the wards, and it ranged from cleaning out the sluice room, to cleaning out the drug trolley. This was the responsibility of the nursing staff, and they carried it out and signed the "weekend cleaning" book. The Nursing Officers spot checked the books to make sure it has all been carried out properly. I am talking about when I was a student nurse.
    Every night after tea-time, the ward was closed, and you went around fixing the patients up. At this time however, you also cleaned the lockers and the tables. You tidied away old magazines, newspapers etc and you remade beds etc. I actually really liked this time, as it was a time when all the staff were on the ward working together, and it was usually good fun, as it was a good time to have a bit of a chat and a joke with the some of the patients who weren't so ill.
    The wards always looked immaculate.
    When you bathed a patient, you weren't finished until you had gone back and cleaned the bath yourself. If it was someone who had maybe had a wound infection, you filled the bath right up and put disinfectant tablets in it. You strung tape all across the bath so no one could get in, and the bathroom was then locked until it had been allowed to steep for a certain time.
    As a new student, if you had nothing to do, you either were sent to clean and tidy the linen cupboard or clean the sluice room.
    When you used a commode for a patient, you took it back and cleaned it and you put the bedpan through the bedpan cleaner.

5. I requested you to ignore me.
    Please oblige.

6. Doglover

I was here before you - oh sorry, is that childish?
    Nearly as childish as you telling me to ignore you - do grow up, CQ!

7. Your responded to me in your past post.
    I do not wish you to respond to me in anyway whatsoever, as I have no desire at all to have anything at all to do with you.
    Sulk and moan if you like. This is the last time I will ever respond to you. It was all explained in our last exchange.

8. Doglover

CQ, as long as I respond politely and within the terms and conditions of these boards, I will continue to respond to any post I want to. I am sorry you feel unhappy about that - I cannot change the way you choose to feel.
    Sulk and moan that you wish to have nothing to do with me? I think not. I won't be giving it a second thought.

9. Very last post.
    If I have politely requested you to not address me, now on more than one occasion, and you continue to do so, this could be conceived as harassment, which is against the TES T&Cs.
    I would rather you just chose to ignore me, rather than me having to place a complaint about you.

10. Somewhat unexpectedly yep (she wasn't due till the 22nd May but arriveed Easter Monday!)

And thanks :)

11. I had surgery in a NHS hospital this year. I was pre-screened for MRSA, as it is standard practice to do so these days.

12. Careful Doglover, Bev will change your name.

13. Doglover

* In response to CQ's post - not CQ*
    As fas as I know I am free to comment on any posts I want to, as long as I am not being abusive or trying to cause trouble.
    If CQ feels at any time that she needs to complain about me, for responding to a post on a public forum, she is of course within her rights to do so.

To Bauble, a change of username might be quite refreshing ;)

14. BelleDuJour

Ye gods!
    All I asked about were flowers in hospital [​IMG]

15. Doglover

Please don't think for one minute Belle, that I either wanted or enjoy the turn, this thread has taken.
    I had commented earlier in the day, and simply wished to continue to do so.
    I maintained the stance that I had throughout the day, and didn't have any argument with anyone else.

16. BelleDuJour

OK. But I maintain the stance that flowers are a source of joy when you are sick, and when you are well.
    A blanket ban on flowers seems to be, IMO, the nanny state gone mad. Raving bonkers. Not so long ago there would be a florist in the lobby of any hospital.
    Flowers have been on the wards for generations, without causing epidemics of sneezing or death by dirty flower water. I suspect the only injury ever sustained would be a vase falling on someone's foot................hardly life threatening.
    But I wait for some killjoy on here to put me right.
    This place is getting more and more like opinion every day. It used to be so fluffy! [​IMG]

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Oh, yes, let's get back to the bit where you started on about being glad you have private health insurance so you can have nurses tend your bedside horticultural display while you queue jump.....
    [​IMG]

18. I'd have been glad of some lovely fresh-smelling flowers when I was in hospital a few years ago; they'd have masked the obnoxious smells I had to endure! Thank goodness for morphine because it made me care less about it.
    Having said that, the little old lady suffering from dementia who was opposite me would probably have thrown them at me, just as she did with her cup of tea, her dinner and various other things she could lay her hands on. Just what I needed when my gall bladder had just exploded inside of me.
    What other posters have written about the loos really resonates. I was asked to give a sample in one of those awkward cardboard potty things so, obligingly, went to the loo and couldn't get into the door because there were so many other samples on the floor (with names on paper towels over them). It stayed like that for 24 hours. My family took me home only 1 day after the op because they were so worried about the hygene.
    I'm a distant relation of Florence Nightingale and I'm sure she would be turning in her grave!

19. Doglover

I have no objection to you wanting flowers on the wards Belle. I was merely putting the argument from another perspective - a bit like you setting up your science lesson, but having to work around a huge vase of flowers.

20. BelleDuJour

Yes. That sounds much more fun! [​IMG]