1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flowers in hospital

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

When I visited an aunt in hospital last summer flowers were not allowed.
    I visited another aunt on the weekend in a different hospital and flowers are not allowed.
    The wards look bare, dull and soul-less places without flowers.
    Now, the <strike>excuse</strike> reason is no doubt nursing staff don't have enough time to tend flowers, but surely if a patient has visitors kind enough to bring them then the visitors themselves would look after them?
    I cannot possibly believe it is a H&S issue.
    I also know for a fact flowers are allowed in private hospitals.
    IMO this is the nanny state gone mad and a sad indictment of today's society.
    I now remember why I pay my BUPA subsription (plus other reasons that became apparent when I fractured my spine back in January).

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

It's not just the maintenance of the vases Belle, but bacteria grows in the water and can spread germs among the patients.
    I think it's a bit OTT too [​IMG] but I guess not all patients are physically able to change the water, etc.

3. BelleDuJour

True. But for decades flowers graced the wards of our hospitals and no-one has died in hospital as a result of a vase of flowers.
    Totally OTT!

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

How do you know? They can cause fungal lung infection, I think that would be the stated cause. Surely better to be safe than sorry.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

How do you know?

6. Bacteria in flower vases? When my mother-in-law broke her leg, there was sh1t ON the toilet seat and blood on the wall of the same cubicle at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital's A & E department. When I went to report it, I was barely acknowledged by the three or four staff standing around doing b ugger-all at the nearest desk.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The nurses in our maternity hospital seemed more worried about the helium balloons, which act as a magnet for dust, and then get knocked, showering the cot below.

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Flowers were allowed on the wards Mum was in last year in Blackburn Royal.

9. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

When my mum was ill and in and out of hospital, she was in the respiratory wards and there were no flowers allowed there.
    When dad had his hip replaced in the same hospital a few years later, I don't recall seeing flowers there either. Mind you it was all men in the ward, and although no flowers were lots of sweets etc?
    B x

10. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

To be honest, having worked in the NHS for a number of years, we had better things to do than tend to patient's flowers....and yes, they are a health hazard.

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think the ruling must vary between hospitals.
    I have been in hospital where flowers were permitted, but had to be taken to the communal day-room. I was told that a number of patients were in hospital for breathing difficulties (myself included....bronchitis not responding to antibiotics) and flowers were deemed a health-risk to us.
    When my former landlady was in hospital (in a cancer ward) they were allowed flowers. It actually looked rather sad. One woman had three vases by her bed - two filled with dirty water and dead flowers The nurses said it was the cleaners' job to tend to flowers, but it never seemed to get done.

12. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

The rules vary between hospitals and wards and sometimes depends on the patients - for example if someone with severe allergies is admitted

13. I love flowers and I did like to see flowers on the wards when I was a nurse.
    HOWEVER, I can also tell you that vases of flowers were an absolute nuisance a lot of the time.
    Very often visitors would leave flowers at the bedside for the nurse to sort out at a later time.
    Secondly, no one ever cleared away wilted or dying flowers, and it was up to the staff to do it.
    Thirdly, there is nothing more difficult than working with a patient in the restricted space, behind screens, with vases of flowers in the way. I don't know how many times, I tried to pull screens round only to have them catch on a vase of flowers, with the whole lot nearly ending up on the floor. It can be very difficult to wash someone, carry out a procedure etc with flowers hanging over you, leaving lovely pollen stains across your freshly laundered uniform. never mind the pollen falling all over wounds etc.
    If you do get spills on the floor, then you risk falls from staff and patients.
    In medical wards particularly flowers can be a problem for people with respiratory conditions because of allergies etc, but more importantly because of the type of fungal infection, I think Joli mentioned. Of course this is not only confined to medical wards, but other wards too. Have you ever seen the fungal growth inside a vase of damp flowers, when you throw them out.
    Dark, damp environments are a ideal breeding ground for other bacteria as well.
    Then of course there is the smell of flowers. The aroma of lillies can be lovely if you are fit and well, but take it from someone who has been very sick in hospital, that there is nothing worse than the sweet, smell of certain flowers, when you are already nauseated or unwell. I still cannot smell lilllies without feeling like being sick.
    There have always been wards where flowers were not allowed, and there have always been good reasons for it.

14. BelleDuJour

Bob has a really good point. These politically correct days of H&S spoiling everything means we sepnd too much time focussing on the wrong stuff.............like banning flowers but leaving everything else like a shit-hole.
    Bring back common sense and bring back flowers (although I accept in some wards, like respiratory, they might not be appropriate).

15. Not allowing flowers in wards is by no means a recent phenomenon.
    In the day of the matron, there would have been no flowers, no sitting on beds etc, etc.
    My mum trained to be a nurse in the late 1950s/early 1960s and most wards then, did not permit flowers.

16. During my recent stay in the maternity ward from hell (which was pretty extended from the fact she arrived 7 weeks prematurely) I timed how long one very highly used maternity towel got to live on the floor of one of the cesspool shower cubicles for... it was day 3 before it got evicted. One of the staff on the ward confessed she'd been monitoring a grape in the corridor to see how long that had lasted before being cleaned up and it was nearing a week into its stay by then.
    They also had the flower AND helium balloon ban - the balloon ban was being diligently ignored by all and it seems compulsory for every visitor (except mine!) to arrive with one - meaning by the end of visitng time each bed resembled that bit in Up when they tie all the balloons to the house (and boy oh boy did I wish certain obnoxious fellow inmates' beds to be tied to the balloons and float away).
    Having lost a relative to a hospital infection last year - I'd rather there were no flowers, balloons or what-not if it reduced the chances of it ever happening to anyone else - particularly on the ward we were on which was (badly) shared between normal maternity cases and extended stay premature babies coming out of NNICU. I'd also rather the place was cleaned, there was loo roll in the toilets (went 2 days without - fun with stitches and stuff), and people weren't filthy *** just leaving sanitary products wherever they dropped them. Think the final of those wishes is probably a step too far.

17. BelleDuJour

Oh well......like I said earlier I'm just glad I've got BUPA!

18. My uncle contracted pseudomonas in a private hospital :eek:

19. BelleDuJour

I still say better than contracting it in an NHS one.

20. I don't think that commercial companies should make money out of treating the sick, but that's a matter for the rude boys on the Opinion forum to discuss.