1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Floppy's phonics Book Band 5

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mystery10, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I've bought these books for one of my children to read at home as she really was keen on them in the shop. We have The Gale, Please do not Sneeze, The Missing Crystal. They are banded as green 5.
    It also says they are Phase 5 phonics and they include split digraphs for the long vowel sounds a-e, i -e etc.
    At average or above average progress roughly when might you be expecting a child to cover these (age-wise and year-group wise)? I don't want to use them too soon, but then again I don't want to lose her interest.
    One of the things that is puzzling me is that in RWI the split digraphs don't appear until the last set of stories (maybe year 2?) but in Floppy Phonics they're in Bookband 5 and the story appears to be for a child much younger than year 2.
    Thanks

2. http://www.oxfordschoolimprovement.co.uk/professional-development/video/debbie-hepplewhite/debbie-incidental/

My whole approach to teaching phonics is two-pronged:
    1) Ensure a systematic, planned, synthetic phonics programme which, in a school setting, continues from class to class with each teacher taking over from what has been taught before.
    2) Provide incidental phonics teaching as appropriate. This might be for a group, a whole class or an individual. It would also include any 'home' teaching if the parent wishes to enrich the his or her child's alphabetic code knowledge.
    It also includes the support an supervising adult might provide when a child reads a book. The adult might say, "In that word, those letters are code for the sound /ai/" and then the child can attempt to blend the word.
    Or model the blending, or tell the child the word, rather than ask the child to guess the word.
    Thus, if I was a parent at home listening to my child read, or sharing the reading experience with the child, I would not be afraid of teaching letter/s-sound correspondences of the alphabetic code ahead of what appears to be the schedule of the school's structured reading programme.
    Equally, I would not expect the teachers to be afraid, or reluctant, to introduce letter/s-sound correspondences as they arise in wider work or for individuals.
    This is where an alphabetic code chart displayed prominently on a wall is invaluable as a constant reference chart to explain the rationale of sounds to letter groups (spelling alternatives).
    Children will also race ahead with phonics for reading in many cases, and yet still need to be taught the phonics and the word banks for spelling purposes. So phonics, in my opinion, needs to be a continuum both at school and at home and from one year to the next.
    There are very few children who prove to be natural readers and naturally competent spellers.

3. You will see from the video and the pdf that teaching the split digraphs (known traditionally as magic e), that you can do this from more than one route.
    So, if you teach that single vowel letters can be code for the short vowel sounds /a/ /e/ /i/ /o/ and /u/ and also their long vowel sounds of /ai/ /ee/ /igh/ /oa/ and /yoo/ - and then teach 'don't sound out end e', this will enable children to read many split digraph type words by just a bit of versatility - 'Try the short vowel sound and if that doesn't make a real word, try the long vowel sound'.
    Of course you can also give examples of what an end e might alert you to read, such as 'not' and 'note' and 'pin' and 'pine'.
    The more flexible a reader you can create, the better. In this way, children can more readily attack reading fearlessly without any worries as to whether they are 'right' or not.
    Tweaking, or modifying, pronunciation is a key part of synthetic phonics teaching. The children need to be trained to 'discern' real words from their sounding out process. This is another reason why I am not happy about using non-words with children. They might tweak the pronunciation of non-words to 'make them' into real words. This can cause confusion with the message of tweaking pronunciation in the case of real words.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Thank you Debbie. I'm going to print both of those responses as they're really helpful reference for me and OH.
    Cheers