1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Floor books...do you use them?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. This is a term I've heard a lot about recently. Wondering what people who use these do and what they look like. What are their advantages and uses?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Floorbooks are sometimes used in early years to involve children in planning their own learning

[​IMG]

3. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

I have used them in science. Children all share their ideas at the start of the topic. Any class photo's from investigations etc go in there or even the process eg what is the experiment, what do we think will happen etc. Then at the end we revisit the book and look at what we know now, which questions we have answered. Children all get to write in it. We make them from sugar paper.

4. Hi there
    We use floor books and I think they're a really good way of consolidating learning.

If children show an interest in something i.e. bones we then get the floor book out, and make a list of questions the children have. We use the books to record what we learn and what we know. They are messy as we like the children to write and draw in them too. Dating the pages is a good idea too - this show progression. We take photos and paste them in too.
    Our children love going through them afterwards too.