1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flooding experience

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by clbills, Aug 22, 2018.

1. clbills

clbills New commenter

So starting first headship in Sept. First 2 inset days planned. Everything coming together and then get a message. While school roof was being replaced it wasn't left watertight and half the classrooms plus the staffroom are badly damaged!

I was abroad in holiday and just got back. Previous deputy went in and has assessed damage with chair of governors. Started an insurance claim Surveyor/project manager has created an action plan and they've had dehumidifier in.

So I'm going in today for meeting with project manager and site manager (who was also away when it happened!) What questions do I need to ask. What might i not know that anyone whose been in this situation can help with?

2. install

install Star commenter

Insurance
    Health and Safety
    Cost
    Compensation Claim and damages from company that replaced roof
    Temporary arrangements - to stop flooding again; classrooms; equipment; furniture
    Timetabler?
    When will roof be fixed? Urgent
    Impact on school?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Will you be able to open with all the pupils or will it be a staggered return?

Need to prepare parents for this asap.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Agree with this. Best to send outline info very quickly to forestall the Twitter and Facebook rumour-mongers. Say what you know, that you are evaluating, that further announcements will be made, and give a timescale. Ask people not to bombard the school with questions but please to be patient so that you can spend time on getting things put right rather than answering emails.

Marshall likes this.
  5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You’ll need to plan to find out if the start of term will be delayed. Strictly speaking the previous head is still in charge until August 31st. They ought to be helping with the project manager, claim etc.

6. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Have you (or HT still in post) let staff know?
    Hope the meeting went well - but be prepared to scrap the INSET days!

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Hope the meeting went well- It really isn’t the best situation to dealing with especially as you haven’t officially commenced your HT role yet.
    What was the outcome of the meeting? I’m assuming the work will start rapidly to minimise disruption in September? You should by now know how long the work is expected to take, if it is to take longer than two weeks when the pupils return, have you considered delaying when the pupils return or at least a phase return for some students? The school will be a building site for the duration of the works so it would not be safe to have everyone in whilst work is taking place. This is a conversation you need to have with your CoG as soon as possible.

8. clbills

clbills New commenter

Thanks all the current head doesn't get back from holiday until Friday so she asked if I could go.

The carpets had dried well and we have a plan to get everything complete and cleaned by next Friday which means staff have mon-wed to set up. I've emailed a provisional timetable to staff to let them all know what's happening!

Parents wise I'm going to post on website just a short statement to let them know there has been a issue but it won't affect start date for pupils.

Phew what a way to start!

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

That’s good then, at least the recovery is going well and still able to open on time for the students return.
    I thought my first year was tough, but you’ve had a lot more to deal with early on.