1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Floating and Sinking Elicitation - PGCE Student needs help!!

Discussion in 'Science' started by brookespeed11, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I am currently training to be a teacher and have been given a list of common science misconceptions to investigate within KS1. I chose 'floating and sinking' from the list and had to collect predictions from a selection of the Year 2 class on my recent placement. I am now coming to write up my assignment and have to reference the NC and QCA SoW but cannot see where this relates?! I only come across QCA SoW 2E 'Forces and Movement' for Year 2 (Sc4 2 Forces and Motion on NC). Please can anyone tell me where floating and sinking relates to the NC and QCA SoW as I cannot find it?!

I'd appreciate any help at the moment as I am stuck and can't continue writing my assignment!

Thanks

2. Hi there,

I am currently training to be a teacher and have been given a list of common science misconceptions to investigate within KS1. I chose 'floating and sinking' from the list and had to collect predictions from a selection of the Year 2 class on my recent placement. I am now coming to write up my assignment and have to reference the NC and QCA SoW but cannot see where this relates?! I only come across QCA SoW 2E 'Forces and Movement' for Year 2 (Sc4 2 Forces and Motion on NC). Please can anyone tell me where floating and sinking relates to the NC and QCA SoW as I cannot find it?!

I'd appreciate any help at the moment as I am stuck and can't continue writing my assignment!

Thanks

3. Perhaps you chose ill-advisedly. [​IMG] The only reference I can find is to swimming! http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/Search/index.aspx
    Perhaps someone else can suggest something better.

4. According to Roehampton university, (can't find it elsewhere) floating and sinking as a topic was removed at the last revision of the National Curriculum.
    http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/staff/marcusbarbor/scienceeducation/web-2008/contents/sc234/floating-sinking/floating-sinking.asp
    However, it does feature albeit vaguely in materials and their properties and would lend itself well to developing Scientific enquiry skills.
    Sc3 Materials and their properties
    "sort
    objects into groups on the basis of simple material properties [for
    example, roughness, hardness, shininess, ability to float, transparency
    and whether they are magnetic or non-magnetic]""find out about the uses of a variety of materials [for
    example, glass, wood, wool] and how these are chosen for specific uses
    on the basis of their simple properties."
    http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/science/keystage1/index.aspx
    Hope that helps.

5. Thanks to both of you for your help! I am a bit baffled as to why we have this as an option of elicitation activities to base our assignment around if it is no longer in the NC! Ah well...

I'll go down the scientific enquiry and Sc3 route FGTO as you mentioned.

Thanks again!

6. You're welcome.
    And if you're baffled - consider yourself initiated into the wonderful world of education!.
    At least it's never boring! ;-)

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We do floating and sinking as a small part of the Forces topic in yr 7 and with higher ability yr 7 groups link it to density.