1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flippin horrible parents evening!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Aaaaaaagh! Just had a parent barging into my class at the end of the day - her little darling in tow. Said darling son in floods of tear - year 6! He had been told off and it wasn't his fault. He had told her what had happened and i was picking on him. She was 'all guns blazing' and he was standing with her arms around him while she told me how unfair i am and how i should take notice of and learn to deal with his ADHD - which by the way no one in school believes he has. She also told me as he stood by listening - that she believes everything he tells her because he doesn't tell lies. Sorry but i have yet to meet a child who doesn't lie sometimes. I began to explain that he had not been picked on - he had been asked to focus on his work a number of times before he was moved and no it wasn't the fault of the child next to him because he was actually turning around to talk to the children at the table behind him. Fortunately, a member of SLT came along as she was laying in to me in the corridor and joined the meeting in a very supportive manner. Ended with said parent apologising but fear the damage has been done to my relationship with her son - he now knows that she believes every word that eminates from his lips.

Okay rant over and yes i know it wasn't actually about a parents evening but still - thanks for listening.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I sympathise - had one of these 'ADHD' benefit hunters last year - very trying. Remain calm. Cake helps.

3. We are trying very hard to stop this sort of thing being thought of as acceptable by parents of any child by writing a 'Parent Behaviour Charter' similar to the 'Zero Tolerance' of the NHS. Anyone who has done anything similar,we would welcome some ideas for wording!

4. We are trying to write a notice at the moment!

My daughter works in retail and has many abusive customers, but as she says, she never has to see them again. Abusive, threatening and rude parents have to be faced for years!

5. Very true!
    When I worked in retail I was screamed at hundreds of times and one time threatened to be stabbed, but I always rested in the knowledge that they would leave and probably never see them again.
    When a parent tried to punch me it was terrifying - even more so because I knew I then had to see her every day after that.

6. tried to punch you???!![​IMG]

7. Common occurence at hell primary. Thankfully her sister in law saw it coming and intercepted the fist!

8. bloody hell.
    Thats crazy.
    Why did she try?

9. Numerous reasons. Problems with SS that day, argument with husband etc topped off with her son running out of school crying because he had time out (completely justified and part of behaviour plan). I think seeing my face was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back!
    Other staff hadn't been so lucky with other parents. Other parents had been even less fortunate with other parents!

10. Grrrr @ 'harder books'... don't parents have their own books at home to challenge their kids themselves?

11. I didn't read this thread till this evening because it was parents' eve last night for me. The parents were great but what was my colleague to do with the comment during the day from a 5 year old which went, "my dad can't hear me read because he's growing plants in the attic!"

12. Oh course we do....please do read other posts to get the full story and
    not just bite parents who want to help their kids heads off.

13. lol-oh dear

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

do the parents ever take them to the local library?

15. I cant speak for all parents- but i do- almost every week.
    Just remember that all you teachers that complain when parents ask for harder books that we have more time to hear our child read and that we actually give a damn.

16. Actually Mjk, the parents who ask for harder books in our school don't give a damn about their child's reading. They only care about the number in the corner of the book as they are all in competition with each other.

17. thats a shame

i however have no idea what the other kids are on and couldnt care less i just want my child to read at the right level not an easier level (which her teacher agreed it was but wouldnt change it as everyone in her group had the same book sent home regardless of individual differences).
    Its not fair to tar everyone with the same brush- children or parents (or indeed teachers)

18. My daughter has, since year 3, been bringing home books that are easier than her reading level, but that is because she quickly whizzed through the scheme and was allowed to choose freely from the school library. Her choices were then purely about what she wanted and enjoyed reading. She reads aloud far more expressively than I do and has occasionally critiqued my reading to them at bedtime as being not as expressive as it could be (2 stars and a wish???) I am grateful to the school that they have recognised from an early age how good she was, letting her move into the junior library when still in the infants etc and have not once complained that her books are too easy.
    My friend, however, is definitely the competitive sort. She's been in when they were due to go on holiday to request extra books purely so her child can "keep up with his friends" (read:get ahead of them!).
    Another friend (with a child who massively struggles with reading) recently stormed into her child's school to demand that his support worker reads with him daily (admittedly as in his IEP) as she can't POSSIBLY read with him now she is at college training to....become a teacher!

19. Everyones different and i feel sorry for your friend for bowing to competitivness and feel awful for the other in teacher training-thats no excuse. Ive been through the past 3 years at uni and always had the time.
    Im happy that your daughters school as been so good and only with the same for mine- that catering to individuals in regards to resources sent home is what is needed- i see no need for her to have a "group" book sent home when the read the same books (albeit different to the one sent home) in school.

20. blimey- i must be tired- my spelling was awful...
    should have been "happy that your daughters school HAS been so good and only WISH"
    opps [​IMG]