1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flippin horrible parents evening!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Oct 12, 2010.

1. and i menat 10-15 mins daily

2. * meant
    sorry about that

3. As a parent rather than a teacher I would say sod the reading scheme books and do some other reading instead - don't forget things like non-fiction and graphic novels which can be very motivating for children.
    You know the level of reading that your child is capable of so choose ones that are in that range. If your child enjoys reading all these exciting books at home then the reading at school will come on leaps and bounds!
    Read stories over and over so that your child knows the story and is excited by it but then wants to have a go at reading it herself.
    Read the beginning of sentences and get her to finish them.
    Talk about the story before you start reading.
    Get her to just tell you a story (even if it doesnt make much sense!)
    Just simply reading aloud to her.
    All great ways of getting children motivated and excited about their reading!

4. I've just got one word re this - RELAX! You sound like you are supporting your daughter(son?) which is great. But don't ever ever get wound up about hard/easy stuff! My two are now doing A levels and GCSE. I had one who was very young in the year group and always seemed "behind" and one who just "flew". We read books at home with them, did all the usual stuff, but I worried myself sick about each of them reading, progressing etc etc. But the bottom line was they DID because we read at home and they lived in a reading environment.
    Chill out - let the teachers teach. They do know what they are doing . . .

5. Thanks

yeah you are right- i think im having more of a problem finding fun and interesting books at her level in the library really- we've read them all !
    Ill just have to keep going. Ive had her writing sentences aboutr photos and dictating a story to me (boy they were funny).
    it takes one or maybe 2 (the second to cover the one word she didnt know) to read her school book- which i think is a shame because the biff,chip and kipper stories are really quite good.
    Ah well, ill chill out a bit.

6. Some time ago I worked under a very patronising deputy. Couldn't stand the woman, but still remember, and occasionally use, her catch phrase: " I am sorry you feel that way". Try using an 'air hostess' caring tone of voice and you will drive them mad. Enjoy

7. You could try telling parents: 'If you promise not to believe everything your child tells you about what goes on at school, I promise not to believe everything your child tells me goes on at home.'

8. [​IMG]
    As somebody has already said on this thread

9. What I really enjoy is when you are confronted with a real curve ball - some festering little sore that a parent has nurtured with an all consuming passion for months on end - and you had no idea. You land up with a great big surprise and you go home burdened with some trivia firmly lodged on your back.

Why can't we have doctors/plumbers/lawyers... evenings so we can go and tell them what a marvelous job they are doing. Better yet why can't we have parent evenings where we can comment critically (no experience necessary) on what we see are the top hundred criticisms of them as parents.

Regretfully I am emotionally immature (despite being long in the tooth) and land up hating the parents forever (sometimes justified) as well as their little precious darlings (sometimes equally justified).

I land up telling them I would not use a certain bodily fluid to ease their comfort should they be involved in a fire.

Maybe that is why I get in trouble in the first place.

10. It's great having the more challenging and verbal students at parents' evening; just ask the question of them: "What do you think I'm going to say?" They're usually much harsher and more brutal than you could ever be....... then follow it up with :"Well, it's not quite that bad....."

11. Reading posts like the ones on thisthread makes me really glad to be teaching adults :) No parents telling me how to do my job, brilliant!

12. I totally agree with this. I encourage parents to ask question, dig deeper into the texts etc and not just listen to 'words'. I often find that children that take slightly longer to learn to read than the 'top set' have much better comprehension - anyone else find this?

13. When you are not quite sure how a parent views their child a good starter is "Now what can I tell you about X that you don't already know?" From the parent reaction you can then gauge how to proceed...

14. Our first school uses message books and an open door policy which means that parents should not leave issues until a parents evening and neither should teachers. In principle, this means that there should not be any surprises. It also provides a positive framework to fall back on rather than focus on a difference of opinion. I also like letting children chose what they read - from an appropriate subset.

15. Totally agree!!

16. I found a way to enjoy it... I'd ask the boys (high school, no grammar stream) what they thought I would be saying. I'd agree, usually being slightly less negative, and bring up some good points (well at least one). Next I'd tell the parents and the boys what they were achieving, what they could do to improve, then... the best bit... I'd ask the boys if I had been fair! No more going home and moaning as I'd given them their chance to disagree. Lovely.
    I now work in an environment where I don't have to meet parents. Bliss.

17. I am sorry but I agree with pinkflipflop. I am sure parents who make this request are equally able to buy or use a library facility to get the sort of books that they would like for their child.
    Most teachers do their best for the children in their class but it so difficult to keep on top of 30 or so requests for particular reading books. I hardly ever read to the teachers in my primary school and definately not twice a week like is expected in my school. Yet because my parents supported me in reading, took me to the library each Friday and bought me books AND heard me read I was always an above average reader.
    I think reading is also the responsibility of the parents !

18. I also agree it is the responsibility of the parents. Interestingly it is my sons parents evening tomorrow and I am very sad to say I enjoy going! It is a chance to be told how good he is (although I already know that!). However, if I have any issues I feel I can go in at any time to discuss them with his teacher.......

Now as a teacher I flipping hate parents evening!! I teach 16 -18's so am always faced with at least one parent who has no idea how their 'child' behaves and how annoying they can be!

Thank god my kid isn't like that.............

19. In the respect that parents should hear their children read and not just assume it is our job. When parents complain that I didn't hear Johnny read this week, it is the ones who never hear Johnny themselves !. Last year, one parent who made a written complaint about me not hearing Johnny often handed me 6 reading books sent home and not returned (Three of these had the same title and had been sent home because Johnny had "lost" it, "forgetten it", left it down Grandma's

20. I think it's a shame we can't be totally honest with parents and they cannot admit what their child is like at home!! Why have we got a generation of children who have been raised wrapped in cotton wool, think it is ok to tell an adult no, are cheeky to adults and the parents are so foul-mouthed you just know there is no hope for the child!! I would never have answered an adult back and my parents would certainly have not questioned a teacher had I had a telling off from school!! IT MAKES ME MAD!