1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flippin horrible parents evening!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Just having a bit of a whinge...
    How do parents expect me to teach their darling child if they do not respect me, and say so in front of their child.
    How do parents expect me to teach them properly if the work is "too easy"! Its not too easy! They're so lazy they just can't be bothered.
    If I say something, I expect a child to do it straight away, not when he/she feels like it, and I am not arguing about it!

I even had 1 parent tonight watch me have a, very polite, argument with their child about his attitude - no I don't - yes, you do!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I feel for you catlady.
    Parents can be quick to complain and jump to the defense of darling Henry or Henrietta but very slow to seem to appreciate the bl00dy hard work being put in above and beyond the call of duty.
    I deal with the 'too easy' comment with examples of work the child struggled with and of course going on about what differention is and how it operates in class.
    Do your children come to parent's evening? DON'T like the sound of that!
    Glass of wine I think. God it's only Tuesday!

3. Oh yes, children are of course invited along! Its horrible. You have to say to their parents that they're a pain in the backside, in front of them! Poor kids.

4. I have parents eve next week not looking forward to it. I have already had some parents complain about me already so early in the term. These kid always go home and tell stories. Their folks never think why has their child been told off?. We simply tell them off for no reason. You really need their support especially with those lazy children who don't even try during lessons.

5. I read this with a familiar feeling of dread. Why is it that teachers are looked down on so much by some parents?! Do they seriously think we make things up about their children? I never really look forward to parents evenings. Especially when you don't feel you have the full support of the SMT [​IMG]

6. Don't mind parent's evenings so much now I have been in my school for a few years. The parents all know me and respect what I have achieved with the children. Still remember the nightmare of my first parents's evening there though, when they took it in turns to come in and tell me that they disagreed with practically everything I was doing and tried to tell me how to do my job! GRR!

7. ouch!
    Im a TA and a parent and i will only be saying 2 things a parents evening- keep doing what your doing and dont let her get away with things (unlike her last school) and please can we have some harder books sent home for her?

we aren't all bad- promise :)

8. The one request that drives me mad!

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Why?

10. Too many parents think that reading is simply decoding the words. Their children rabbit them out in parrot fashion with no understanding of what they are reading at all. I have parents complain that they want so called 'harder' books yet their children can't tell me anything about the book they have just read, can't recall characters or events and llok blankly when you ask any questions about the book.
    One parent in particular started making the child read books of her own choosing - ones that she deemed 'difficult' enough. She had a big shock (despite us telling her constantly that her daughter had no understanding of what she was reading) when her child didn't even score enough on the L2 KS1 test to get a 2C.

11. 2bgr8

2bgr8 New commenter

I agree Pff! Drives me mad!
    In response to children going home and telling porkies.... I have used this one on parents before: "Let´s make a deal, I won´t believe anything little Johnny says happens at home if you don´t believe everything he says happens at school" That Zips them up quickly!

12. I also agree. I had a child for whom English was an additional language. He was brilliant at decoding stuff and could read accurately and quickly. However, when asked practically anything about the book (characters, emotions, reasons, even simple re-telling) he would stare at you blankly with no clue!!!
    I always wonder why parents think we as teachers would WANT to keep children on books that are too 'easy' for them. Surely we would want them to be on the highest possible level in the shortest possible time!!! If they are not, could there be a good reason for that . . . !?
    I think that's a KS1 thing though. Reading seems to raise hackles whatever you do. No-one ever asks for their children to be set harder writing tasks . . .

13. In KS1 it is not helped by the fact that there is so much competition between parents in our school. Even the children brag and compare which reading stage they are on. Very demotivating and demoralising for the children on stage 2 in Year 2 when even the parents are picking up on it and bragging about perfect little jonny's stage 10 book.

14. You all have perfectly valid points and believe me i understand.
    However she can tell me about the book and loves being able to restate what happens.
    My problem is that they are reading a completly different set of books at school with her and are sending these ones home that yes i view as too easy. They ask me to write in her reading log yet they give me no knowledge of how she reads in school.

How can i help her when i don't know what they are doing?

15. I am also a Teaching Assistant and to be honest I felt that my role and the teacher's role were complementary and that I didn't need to know the fine details of my son's reading.
    My job was to instill a love of books and reading and to praise and all his efforts. As a parent you have the time to offer one to one support, to take your child to the library, bookshop. To play board games, go on trips, help with the shopping, play games on the computer all activities with lots of opportunities for speaking, listening, reading and writing - and I then trusted the teachers to do their job and support my child's reading- which they did admirably.
    I am sure Mjkthorpe you are a mum who does all these things anyway. Mind you, I am glad that I wasn't in school when my son was younger - I am sure I would have worried more than I did.

16. If a parent tells me the home books are too easy I reply that they're supposed to be, we do the hard stuff at school and they can take it easy at home!

17. [​IMG] There really should be a round of applause button on here!

18. There really should be a round of applause button on here!

I'll second that !!!

19. Ooh and me!! Sending you a big thumbs up. Wish you lived where I teach!

20. You are right Laurelei and i do trust that the teachers know what is needed and when.
    My main problem is not knowing anything about what they do at school in relation to reading and having this alongside my knowledge that it is very hard to get more than 4 pages/5mins reading time per child a week in class individually and about a paragraph or 2/ 5 mins guided reading. All i want to do is support the level of reading she is suppossed to be on and help her work out harder words in home time where we spend about 10-15mins reading and tend to finish the book.
    I take her to the library and play games and all those things and its great but its also very hard to get books at her level and not too hard- i dont want her to hate reading.
    Again i repeat- i know that the teachers know what they are doing but for this i have more time to spend on it then they do in a busy classroom.
    A final point is that there should be communication between parents and teachers as it allows everyone to work along the same lines in order to help the child.