1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flipped classrooms

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Ivoemma511, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Ivoemma511

Ivoemma511 New commenter

When we started at the beginning of September, we had a really interesting training session, during which, whilst being encouraged to try new things in the classroom, 'flipped lessons' came up. Have read around the concept, since I wanted to get opinions from those who have tried this, use this habitually, etc, I'd also like to hear of times it has been successful, perhaps not successful, how students respond to this....any advice or opinions, please!

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, it’s not a new concept, but not always fully understood.

You are looking for labour intensive content of your lessons which do not require teacher supervision. You then flip them out to unsupervised learning time and instead increase the amount of teacher supervised activities.

For example, I might spend time identifying a single example of a source (my subject is English) or modelling. Show them this source and then finally evaluate the single source with the class. By getting each class member to identify and consume their own source in their own time before bringing it to the classroom I then have a vast array of sources which we spend time evaluating instead of consuming.

So less about the idea of having standalone 'flipped lessons' and more about adapting your practice.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I have a neice flipping burgers having spent her entire secondary school career in a school flipping lessons.

She did her best, but failed everything.

She is of normal intelligence, above average, I would say, but bilingual

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't like it. I have been in several schools where it is enforced to a ridiculous degree. it leaves teachers pretty redundant, as what we do best is explain things, and what we do in flipped learning is make the students try and explain things to themselves.

Its ok in moderation.

Nothing wrong with giving students a bit of prelearning, occasionally, or even regularly.

Encourages them to use their brains in a different way.

But the idea, enforced in some schools, that they can learn the content of the curriculum off by heart alone at home, and then just do practice at applying it in the classroom just fails. It is normally enforced by some little full-of-themselves- SMT member, from a subject like language, with masses of vocabulary to learn, who has no clue about how much explanation and understanding has to go into other subjects.

I've even known a character like this tell students that if they do all the learning by heart that is given to them, that is all they need for their GCSEs , and I have to explain, actually, I don't think your teacher knows very much about maths..... or science, or whatever I am teaching at that point.

The worst schools limit actual teaching, and have a ban on going over a set number of minutes in a lesson, as this is evidence that the content isn't being learnt flipped.

I am very firmly of the belief that teachers should teach in lessons, and set students up to practice independently at home.

If students could just sit at home and learn content by heart, and that would do, we would never have invented schools, would we,

I am not against the occasional use of the flipped format though