1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flight cancelled means no holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Anyone else? I should be off to Egypt. No chance. Gutted.
    FRICKING. BLIMMING. SNOW.
    Now at the mercy of my friends who are left in London. :(

2. Oh poor you. That's shit.

3. That sucks. Is there no chance of a flight later in the week?

4. Christmas Eve I can get one, but I miss 7 days of my 13 day tour and the parts I want to see/do the most.
    Think I'll be better off claiming full insurance back.

5. That sounds like the best option, though it still sucks! More snow is forecast for later in the week, so you'd have no guarantee of that flight either.

6. Can get one on Christmas Eve, but I miss half the tour and the parts that I really want to do.
    Busy trying to come up with pro for having this time:
    Have had an offer for Christmas Day already, and 2 for NYE
    Have time to do some planning that I wasn't going to have time for
    Have the time to write job apps properly!
    Will get to see some mates that I was going to.
    But the best one - I may actually be able to go skiing and afford it!

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Good lass - that's the way to deal with the lemon life's just chucked at you. Make lemonade!! [​IMG]

8. That is so not good.. I'm still waiting to see what happens for us...
    We are booked on the 11.27pm Caledonian Sleeper out of London to Edinburgh tonight but I have to get from here to the station in Banbury and then to London first... Tried to organise a taxi for this afternoon but hardly any working because of the snow and apparently the road into Banbury was closed yesterday... and the first one I was able to actually speak to is charging one and half the normal rates... but I have found a closer one so fingers crossed for us.... it is going to be a long evening methinks just getting to the train let alone the trip to Scotland...
    (just thinking back, I had planned to go to either Egypt or Russia for Christmas.... at least there is a good chance we will get to Scotland... no chance if we had taken either of those options...)
    Enjoy whatever you end up doing in the knowledge that it is still not school....

9. That is so disappointing for you all.
    This sort of weather used to be a once-in-decade kind of thing. But it is starting to look like a bit of a pattern. I foresee a sharp decline in winter breaks that rely on UK airports being able to deal with a bit of snow that was forecast well in advance.

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They do seem a bit useless at clearing it, 'we are working around the clock' , well done! Why can't they heat the runway like our conservatory floor? Or use a monster vacuum cleaner that sweeps along it at forty miles an hour? I am certain it can't be that hard.
    Did you know they own a lot of brown field sites around their car parks to keep the competitors out and the prices high? Though they do seem the have mastered the shopping mall. BAA are not fit to run airports.

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Gatwick have ordered more snow clearing machines but delivery is delayed by snow.

12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

SNORTED WITH LAUGHTER at this one.

13. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I'm due to fly to New York tomorrow from Heathrow. At the moment, flights are taking off from Terminal 5 to a few areas, NYC being one of them.
    The current list of flights tomorrow are showing as operating, except two- 15.05pm and 18.00pm, which is 'awaiting update' We're meant to be flying on the 15.05 one!!

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Tassie, it is rubbish that it's been cancelled but I'd take the money from the insurance and plan something nice for next year while making sure that I had enough pleasant things to do this Christmas.

15. Nearly as good as I heard on the radio yesterday that a football stadium's undersoil heating couldn't be used because it was too cold!

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It was the funniest item on the news :)

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What about The Winter Wonderland attraction that was closed because of the snow.

18. And the grit that won't work on the roads if it gets too cold.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Good luck sleighbells - with a name like yours you really should be able to get away at Christmas.