1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible working: some teachers’ requests for part-time work are being refused

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 21, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A new DfE report has revealed the grim reality of what teachers have to face if they want to reduce their working hours. Part-time working is still an unobtainable aim because many headteachers refuse requests for flexible working despite many teachers claiming that reducing their hours improved their wellbeing:

‘Research published by the Department of Education shows that while more than three-quarters of school leaders have received a request for flexible working from a staff member in the past five years, over a quarter have rejected a request.

In a report released by the DfE today – Exploring flexible working practice in schools – data shows that 29 per cent of 1,589 school leaders reported that that flexible working requests had been declined in their schools in the last five years, despite the majority of school leaders receiving these requests.’

The education secretary Damian Hinds believes that teaching should be a family-friendly profession but the report’s findings reveal that this is far from the case.

https://www.tes.com/news/over-quarter-headteachers-refuse-part-time-requests

What do you think about the report’s findings? Do you think teaching is a family-friendly profession? Should the government do more to prevent headteachers from refusing requests to go part-time?

2. WB

WB Occasional commenter

During term time, teaching is massively family unfriendly.

Sally006, Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

LEA peeps keep on telling the HT bots to get rid of jobshares because they cost more. They only want to employ cheapie young teachers who will burn out after 3 years and be replaced before they get to UPS>

snowyhead likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

If you were being charitable, you might say that part time working was not in the best interests of the school and curriculum.

If you were being charitable.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Some schools are reducing teaching hours to balance the budget: part-time teaching by stealth.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Welcome back @snowyhead , long time no see here I think?

I agree with you.

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Why, thank you @Rott Weiler. I had an issue with my login many months ago and lost the will to post.