1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible working request

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Splitting your class(es) between two teachers can have a major effect on the children, obviously and you must address this. How will you ensure you communicate with the other teacher to ensure the children are not disadvantaged?
    I assume you have children or carer responsibility which meets the criteria for applying for flexible working?

2. Small primary schools, amongst others, find it usual to have job shares. I do.The 2 staff are both in school together one afternoon a week, PPA time when they plan and discuss class issues etc. They email and text each other all the time. When 1 is on a course the other will cover etc. It is a useful, flexible set up. When I advertised the vacancy they applied as a job share and it has worked well.
    However, this is not always the case and an employer is only obliged to consider requests.

3. I am currently on maternity leave, Middlemarch.
    Tom Clancy, I also believe that job shares can be useful, particularly in a small school. A job share already works successfully within the school. I agree that good communication will be vital to ensure the children are not disadvantaged in any way.
    I will address your points regarding job shares/ communication in my request. Thanks for your comments.