1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible working request - when to discuss/submit letter

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mirrorball, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I am currently on maternity leave and have decided I would like to go back part time if agreed. I don't know when I will be going back yet though - possibly December but might be earlier if finances aren't looking good. My question is, when do you think I should raise it with my Head? Is it far too early now? Can I submit a formal flexible working request letter if I don't know what date it would be from? I was thinking about asking my Head for an informal chat to let her know what I am thinking so that she can think about it when planning staffing for next year. Any advice welcome! Thanks.

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Are you primary or secondary? As for the informal chat...it depends how well your head would respond to that. If you work in a small primary that would probably be more effective than a big secondary.
    I'd put the request in now, because they have to think about timetabling/staffing for Sept anyway. When i requested my part time i did it in Sept i think to go back in Feb. I'd spoken to my head in the April before i went on maternity leave and he'd said to wait before making a formal request as he didn't know until deadline date what his staffing would be like. I work in secondary. He did tell me at the time the answer would probably be no, but i requested it, he declined it, i appealed it and then he agreed to it!!

3. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I had my part time contract drawn up and signed when I was 20 weeks pregnant and I still have not decided when I am going back to work (my LO is nearly seven months old). My part time contract will begin when I return to work so my maternity pay has been on full time wage. I was very early getting my request in as I work in a large school in department of 20 where there are already 5 part time mothers, me on maternity leave and another pregnant so I wanted to reassure myself that it would not be a problem! I hope it goes well for you!
    x

4. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I think the sooner the better as this gives more time for discussion and if necessary an appeal.
    I think most heads would want a return date though - even if it is provisional. With notice (is it 4 weeks?) you can change your return date, but it would give them something to go on.
    You'll know best if the informal chat or formal letter will go down better with your head.
    Good luck!