1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible Working Request Refused - entitled to apply for voluntary redundancy?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by willvandom, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi

I have posted this in Pay and Condtitions but wondered if you guys have any similar experiences and could offer some advice?

I am really hoping someone can help me out and would be grateful for any advice. I am currently on Maternity Leave until September and made a Flexible Working Request to return at 0.5. My school seem to be trying to avoid making a formal refusal but have made it clear that they want me back in my previous post on my previous terms, or not at all. I believe an appeal would be unlikely to succeed and would likely unnecessarily sour relations with my school which I am keen to avoid for the sake of references. I am not adding more details here as I don't want to identify myself.

My school are currently seeking applications for voluntary redundancies (although they would certainly have to hire someone to replace me as no-one in the school has the appropriate skill-set) - am I entitled to apply for this, rather than to resign? I will not go back on my current terms but I would like, of course, if possible, to avoid having to pay back my extra maternity allowance. Thanks again for any help anyone can offer - I will be contacting my union on Monday but it can take them a while to get back to me and I am bound (as far as my union have already advised) to resign by 31st May.

2. i don't see why you can't apply for it, but i don't know if they have to grant you it if you see what i mean. i'd push for a formal decision on your request to go part time....