1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

flexible working request ... advice needed please

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by getupandgo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I made a formal request to my head to work 4 days (i meet all the criteria needed under the FW policy). I had previously tried to talk to my head about it (informally) but was told I had to put in a formal request before it would be considered ...
    The day we broke up for half term my Head gave me a letter refusing my request. It came as a shock as I was expecting a meeting (as the Policy sets out) where we could talk about my request and if need-be talk about any possible alternatives. I mentioned this to my Head and she said the meeting was when she handed me the letter rejecting my request !??!? I know this is not right and she has not followed the correct procedure. She basically said the answer would be no different if we had a meeting!?!?!?
    I am really not sure what to do about this. I am not a member of a union (didn't renew my membership ... I know ... stupid!). Does anyone have any advice or been through something similar?
    Thanks

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

1. Join a union!
    2. I believe that you have the right to have your request for part-time/flexible working considered, though there's no obligation for the HT to grant it. However if they refuse, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to appeal to the Governors. Of course, they might just back up the HT!
    3. If you're sure she hasn't followed the rules, though, in your position I might write and say so to the Chair of Govs. Or the HT herself, or both. I'd need to be 110% sure of my ground, though!
    Good luck.