1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible working hours?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by deiuliis, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Can anyone help??

I am currently on maternity and will be returning back to work full time in june, however I really want to be able to change my working hours so that I can take my son to and from school 3 days a week. Has anyone been able to agree this with their school or does anyone know how I would stand on this. I am part of a union but haven't approached them yet. Can anyone help as this is something that I feel very strongly about. Please help!!

Dominique x

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

It is my understanding that you can ask but they don't have to agree. i think that in our school it would have to fit in with the timetable

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Your union will have documents on their website wit acuurate info. This is the NUT link:
    http://www.teachers.org.uk/maternitymatters
    Page 38 gives guidance. Essentially, you are entitled to ask - but it is not guaranteed you'll get it.

4. i agree with the others, entitled to request, but they dont have to agree.
    however i'm unsure that the school would agree to the kind of hours you are talking about as i think they'd find it difficult to cover the hours that you will not be working at each end of the day. If you are going to be taking your son to and from school, what kind of distnace is this away from your workplace. Say you could work 9.30am to 3pm, who would want to work just 45 mins in the morn and 30 mins at the end of the day, 3 days a week, to cover you?
    i think you would need to word your letter very carefully and spin a positive for the school/children/timetable as to how this scenario would work.
    Good luck with your request

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If you're secondary, you've probably got a better chance, although keeping you free first and last on three days is quite a big restriction. If you're not fussed about which days, and would settle for a couple of late starts and a couple of early finishes, some schools might at least try.
    If primary, I guess someone covering PPA could potentially start slightly later in the morning - if you wanted to go down the PPA route.
    On the plus side, I have met
    - a teacher who did not have a tutor group, in order that she could take her son to the primary school next door
    - a teacher who, when she moved to a sixth form colllege, was asked what format she wanted for her part-time contract - would she like late starts so she could do the morning school run, or a couple of free afternoons? (I think sixth-form timetables tend to be more flexible.)

I was talking to a mum of a reception child who said she gets nothing out of her about school, because she's had two hours of childcare by the time they see her. They've now rearranged things so dad can take her once a week, so he can see what's in the classroom and they've got more clues of what to ask her about. So I understand your wish!