1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible working -80% over 5 days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Natalieellis, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Natalieellis

Natalieellis New commenter

Many moons ago when I first started teaching, I met a supply teacher who told me about how when she was a young Mum, she worked an 80% but over 5 days. Since then I've never known anyone ask about this. At the moment I work an 80% contract in 4 days. My eldest son is 9 and is happy going to after school childcare, but my 3 year old will start school in September. I really don't want to have to send her to a childminder after school for her first year.

Has anyone else looked into this as an option? Ideally I would get into work normal time (7.45ish) but would need someone to see my class out at 2.50pm so I could get across to pick my kids up. The money I'd save in childminding would make up for the 5th day. Any advice - I suppose a letter to the Governors to test the water? Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. Natalieellis

But I suppose they would, in essence, be getting a teacher in class for 5 days (apart from the last 15 minutes) which I predict would be covered by a HLTA. I'd have to do the staff training once a week and parents' meetings etc. It would be great to see if anyone has heard of it done before.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

How is this an 80% timetable though? Or am I being really stupid? you will be asking for an increase in hours won't you? Or are you happy to have trapped time in the middle of the day to bring you down to 80%?

I understand your point, and see how it may benefit the school. If you are leaving 15 minutes early each day though, but working for an 80% contract, there is going to be large sections of the day when surely you will be stuck in school (unless you live close to home and leave the site, then I don't see your original dilemma anyway...) where you are not being paid? Would you be happy with this?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

In Secondary the school quite often allocate a 0.8 over five days. The problem is that you might not get the hours you want.

You seem to just want to leave early every day. I think it would be a very generous HT who would agree to that.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's something that could possibly work, with, as you say, probably an HLTA covering the last part of the day. You'd lose the opportunity for parents to speak to you at the end of the day - that might be a bad thing. There might also be other communication issues, which you would need to think about. A head might be worried about setting a precedent, too - one teacher leaving at 2.50 is one thing, but imagine if the idea caught on, and parents arriving for pick-up could see the staff carpark rapidly emptying! (Technically, I don't think they can use precedent as grounds to refuse, but it might encourage them to use other grounds.)

I do know somebody who did what you suggest for a short while - she was a qualified teacher employed as a TA, and they asked her to step up to do supply when a teacher was ill. As she had only been working one afternoon, she had no childcare for the rest of the week, so the head covered the last fifteen minutes of the day. But that was very much a temporary arrangement.

In the first instance, if you have an approachable head, I'd have a chat to them and see how the land lies (making it clear that this is not a formal request - you're only allowed to make one formal request a year). You might be more successful just asking to leave early on your PPA day, so you only have three days of childcare. Or they might suggest that you do PPA cover for a year, and have two afternoons off instead of one whole day.

(Thinking about it, if my daughter's school offered a "last half hour of the day" contract, I'd consider applying, and I can think of others who would too. But I bet such a contract wouldn't be advertised - much cheaper to use an HLTA.)

7. Natalieellis

Thanks everyone - I hope they consider me as a teacher they want to keep for the long term hopefully so I might see what happens - with a view to just trialing it with them for a year. Who knows... the school could be an academy in the future and then it's anyone's guess as to what will be accepted.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck . . .

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I spent my last year in mainstream with 80% over 10 days (fortnight timetable),
    My main motivation was getting the workload more controllable rather than days off. I ended up with a couple of days of later arrival, a couple of days when I could depart early. I had a bit more control over some of life and it improved one aspect of working life.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

In secondary when I worked 0.6 over 4 days. I happily stayed in for the non-paid time (i.e. making it 0.8) to complete some of the preparation and marking I would otherwise have been doing in the evening and weekends (and there was never any suggestion of 'could I just........'). Obviously different circumstances to OP though.