1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexible hours/return to workplace advice

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by louloul, Aug 16, 2016.

1. louloul

louloul New commenter

I qualified with QTS in 2004. My teaching experience is pretty varied. I've done day to day supply, temporary maternity cover, permanent class teacher positions throughout KS2 and a PPA cover role.

I stepped out of teaching in 2012 (I had a baby in 2011 and returned part time for a year in my PPA cover role.) I then went on to have another baby and have not yet returned to teaching (I considered for a long time whether I would or not.) In my time out of the classroom I have continued to offer private tuition to families who have wanted some additional support for their child, so I have regularly planned against objectives to teach children in KS2.

My eldest is now in f/t school and my youngest is about to start 2.5 days at nursery (9-3pm.)

I would like to know whether any school based teaching role might accommodate my availability and if so what? A classroom teacher would not work as I have to take and collect my son from nursery (we moved 3 weeks ago to a new area and don't yet have the connections/support to help out.)

Is taking my CV to a school a good idea, potentially to enquire about PPA cover?

I would like advice on possible next steps in this next year to get my foot back in the door of teaching. Once my son starts f/t school next year, I can sort breakfast and after school clubs to support my working hours.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Schools are likely to have sorted their staffing for the new term, including PPA cover, but there's probably no harm in letting your existence be known. Maybe look at schools that are "requiring improvement" - I know someone who got taken on part-time mid-year to enable an underperforming class to be split and given a boost.
    Plenty of returning mums do some volunteering in their own child's school to get back into the swing of things, and that's often a good stepping-stone.