1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flexibility around resignation dates during school closure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Melj16, May 22, 2020.

1. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I've read that Unions are suggesting flexibility from heads around resignation dates for teachers during the school closure but how likely is this to be the case?

I've seen a perfect part time role but deadline is first week of June....obviously after the resignation deadline. I'm unsure whether to risk upsetting my head if it will be impossible anyway.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

(Almost) nothing is impossible if heads choose to be flexible as far as resignation dates are concerned. I've not heard of a school that has formally changed its resignation dates and standard national conditions in Burgundy Book are unchanged.

It's always been possible for a head to agree to accept resignation after May 31st for a 31st August finish if they want to. It's at their discretion. Will they be more willing to use their discretion now? You'll never find out unless you ask!

They're more likely to agree it if you ask before the interview than if you spring it on them if you get offered the job.

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Ask your HT. No-one else knows which way they'll decide. Contracts haven't changed so you'll need to negotiate.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

If they want rid of you, theyllaccept. If they can't replace you, they won't.

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  5. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

Thanks for advice. I handed my resignation in at the start of the year and I was talked into staying so I dont think HT wants rid. I just don't know whether I want to rock the boat so late in the year and leave HT with more stresses and having to recruit.

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

Do what is right for you. Life is too short...
    Nobody is irreplaceable.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I had the SEN Manager who I appointed back in September 2019 come to me the other day and inform me that they have applied for a AHT role in another school and will be required to start in September 2020 or January 2021. Interviews are over the coming days so hopefully a decision is made before the 31st May 2020- I have told them that the school could release them on the 31st August 2020 if they resign by the 8th June at the latest. The same has been said for other colleagues who are looking to move on. This was a joint agreement between myself, the CoG and the new HT who joins the school from 1st June 2020, but doesn’t take over officially until 1st September 2020.

8. install

install Star commenter

Talk to your head teacher

9. Cristinamolzaf

Cristinamolzaf New commenter