1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fleas - help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Houstonwehaveaproblem, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I've gone for a best fit! I'm normally over on pregnancy so, hi :)
    I am absolutely desperate for advice. Here's the short story:
    We have 3 cats. Until I got baby brain we regularly defleaed and wormed them as recommended by vet. Went a couple of weeks over by mistake and cats got fleas in the gap. Have since, frontlined the cats twice in 6 weeks, flea bombed each room in the house (at the same time) and hoovered like maniacs. I thought we'd got rid of them until a week ago when I started getting bitten again and can now see them on cats again. Am going to use frontline again tomorrow (2 wks earlier than needed) but just don't know what to do nOw to get rid of them!!!!im due in 3 weeks and fretting we'll still have fleas :( I don't want people coming over in case they get bitten and they re driving me nuts. Can anyone help??? Any experience of this problem? I'm guessing we re not getting all the eggs or something and that's why we have a recurring problem but don't know how else to shift them :( please help!!!
    Houston x

2. Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I've gone for a best fit! I'm normally over on pregnancy so, hi :)
    I am absolutely desperate for advice. Here's the short story:
    We have 3 cats. Until I got baby brain we regularly defleaed and wormed them as recommended by vet. Went a couple of weeks over by mistake and cats got fleas in the gap. Have since, frontlined the cats twice in 6 weeks, flea bombed each room in the house (at the same time) and hoovered like maniacs. I thought we'd got rid of them until a week ago when I started getting bitten again and can now see them on cats again. Am going to use frontline again tomorrow (2 wks earlier than needed) but just don't know what to do nOw to get rid of them!!!!im due in 3 weeks and fretting we'll still have fleas :( I don't want people coming over in case they get bitten and they re driving me nuts. Can anyone help??? Any experience of this problem? I'm guessing we re not getting all the eggs or something and that's why we have a recurring problem but don't know how else to shift them :( please help!!!
    Houston x

3. The only thing we found that really helped (apart from the freezing cold, which I think was what eventually put a complete stop to it all - we don't have the heating on much in ourhouse and the insulation is terrible), was flea combing them everyday (and trapping the fleas in stickytape to make sure they don't escape before putting in the wheelie bin).
    We tried spraying (both cats and house) hoovering like mad, they had never missed a flea treatment as it was anyway, and so on, but they kept getting them (we think they were getting them from a friend who lives a few doors down, who is an outside kitty), but brushing them with the comb managed to get each last one, and keeping up the hoovering and noxious chemicals seemed to work on any that had dropped off/laid eggs in the house.
    Sorry can't be of more help, they really are bugg*rs aren't they? :(

4. Have you tried RIP Flea? It's a big can of spray you get from the vet and I found that it was more effective than the bombs as I could make sure that every inch of carpet and soft furnishings were covered. I also washed every bit of soft furnishing that I could take off and put through the washing machine - cushion covers, throws, bedding etc.
    Have you tried programme rather than frontline? We now get our two cats "programmed" twice a year via injection at the vets as they wash each other so just licked the frontline off each other making it fairly ineffective. The vets send us a reminder every six months and we get one of the programme injections done at the same time as their annual jabs to make it easier. (You can have the injections done even if you've given them frontline - however it's not a particularly cheap option.)
    Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

5. We had constant problems with fleas until we got wood floors everywhere. Carpets are the biggest problem. We used frontline on the cats and a big can of spray to spray all the carpet especially the corners and edges. Daily combing too. Wash everything you can in a HOT wash. Some people are more susceptible to bites. It was my eldest daughter who always alerted us to the fact we needed to deflea.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I no longer have a cat, but for most of the time I did have one he was vaccinated with 'Program'. Never had another flea in the house, never had to use bombs or any other household product against fleas.
    As qu1annie says, it's not cheap but it's 100% effective.

7. Hi. Yes, I know exactly what you're going through. We have one cat and we've been plagued with fleas this year. Cat is usually Frontlined regularly but this just hasn't been working. Poor puss eventually developed flea allergic dermatitis, so we took her to the vet for treatment. The vet told us that he's had a few people reporting that Frontline is no longer effective against fleas. He gave us Advocate to treat our cat then advised we try the new Frontline Combo which is only available on prescription. We have continually sprayed the house and treated the cat, hoovered etc but we still notice the odd flea bite on our legs, however, things have improved a lot and puss is a lot less itchy. I can only assume it is the warm weather that has caused this - normally we have frosts much earlier which kills the fleas off.

Definitely ask your vet for advice because fleas eventually become resistant to drugs, which means its time to try something new.

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

It's well documented now that Frontline is no longer effective and this includes the veterinary prescription one. Stronghold or indeed most other prescription products are far better. I know Advocate is now available without a prescription online- the non-Combi one, that is.
    Of course it's imperative to treat the environment as well-this is where most of the fleas are so again the veterinary formulations are the best. I used a product called Stay-Kil with good results. A steam cleaner is another very useful tool in combating them as well as very frequent vacuuming, of course!

9. Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. Im quite shocked about frontline not being as effective, although it would explain why we still have them...will look into program. I was going to get it a few months ago but the cost put me off, rather be skint than have fleas though! Will definitely try combing and spray too.
    Thanks again
    Houston

10. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

RIP flea + Advocate is the only thing that has worked for us. Frontline, even the combo version was useless. I used RIP flea when pregnant using a mask and all windows open, then sat in the garden for an hour (in summer). The vet said it was fine to use during pregnancy and my boisterous 1-year-old has suffered no ill effects!

11. Personally I wouldn't recommend the Program injection. I was using Frontline on my cats until the vet said I should switch to something else, as fleas are becoming immune to it; stupidly I agreed even though my cats had never picked up fleas as someone has forgotten to tell our local fleas to stop dying. Within 2 months of the Program injection my cats and house were infested with the pesky little blighters, so I immediately switched back to Frontline spot-on, plus used Indorex Household Flea Spray (one 500ml can did the whole house) - I sprayed it everywhere, carpets, curtains, bedding, and shut the house up for over 6 hours. It worked! I think if/when Frontline stops working in this area I'll probably switch to Advocate spot-on.....the thing I read about the Program injection is that it doesn't kill fleas, just sterilises them so their eggs are infertile. Not much help if you don't want them in your house in the first place.