1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flattering dresses?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by athrawes10, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant and need to find a 'smart' dress for my husband's work do in 3 weeks time :)

By 'smart', I don't mean a black tie event - it's only a party to celebrate something that's happened in the firm, but it's in a posh venue and I know that the people my husband works with (barristers) are pretty 'posh' too!

I was thinking of maybe a 'smart' maxi dress - if they exist?! - but don't know where to look!

I'm in my early thirties and tall with pale(ish) skin and dark hair, so I was thinking of maybe something dark blue/green/purple?

My bump is HUGE too, hence the need for a 'flattering' dress ha! (I was a size 8/10 before I got pregnant and I doubt I'll ever be that size again...oh,well)

I haven't got a huge budget - I could probably stretch to something around the £100 - £150 mark if it was really lovely, but I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to wear it again so...

Any help, whether it be names of shops/websites or just styles/colours of dresses, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you x

2. What about this beauty from Topshop's maternity range http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=1846482&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208537&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[209827|208537]&noOfRefinements=1 (if the link doesn't copy go to their website and see their maternity range & look for maxi dresses). It's £75 by the way! Oh and bet you could sell it on ebay afterwards...

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I got a nice maxi dress from the JoJoMamanBébé website. It's really casual, but could be dressed up a bit. I think they have more 'smart' things but I was just looking for something summery. I can wear it after too.

4. Oh and ASOS have no less than 69 different maternity dresses! They look so nice too. Lots of dark colours to suit your colouring. I love a clothing dilemma :)

5. I think Boden have 10% off their online maternity range at the moment - an add popped up on another website I visited today. Might be worth a look as the dress in the pop up ad was exactly as you describe - a flattering maxi style dress with a pattern I quite liked. Their stuff always looks stylish and have others have said you can add accessories to dress it up or down as needed. Good luck & happy shopping!

6. Thank you all for your replies :)

I think a bit of online shopping in on the cards for tonight!

7. Thank you all for your replies :)

I think a bit of online shopping is on the cards for tonight!

8. I do a lot of ebaying, and items from quality shops like Boden generally sell really well again, so if you think you'll only wear it once or twice you can still get most of the money back. Obviously, there are always exceptions though!