1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flat Stanley exchange from Plymouth to anywhere in the UK / World?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beershop, Jul 18, 2011.

1. beershop

beershop New commenter

Hi
    I am planning on using Flat Stanley throughout my Big Writing after the October half term (I know, planning ahead but these things take ages to get sorted sometimes!) and would love to find a class to swap Flat Stanleys with.
    The idea is that every child in each class makes a Flat Stanley (or a Flat Friend version of themself) and then we post all the Stanleys to each other. Every child then writes a diary entry or letter saying what the Stanley they have received has been up to. Then we post the Stanleys back.
    My class will be a year 2 class of24 children in inner-city Plymouth, Devon. A small school in a relatively small city surrounded by the countryside!
    Please let me know if you would be interested in doing this with me.
    Thanks!
    Sara

2. What's a Flat Stanley?

3. I'd be interested if you would be happy with a class of mixed Y1/2s.

4. I have 26 for next year at present. I have the Flat Stanley book somewhere as I've thought about doing it in the past. I'll have a look at the website.

5. beershop

beershop New commenter

Hi teaplease and farrier!

We'd love to link up with you both if possible. My class is diminishing with leavers but should gain a few more kiddies by Sept! 23 or 26 or so is perfect. I may get other classes to post too if they get ready in time!
    We would be starting to plan and write about our Stanleys after half term, so would aim to post by the end of November. Would that suit you, then you could do your replies over the last few weeks of term and post them at before Christmas hols?
    If this suits, please email your name, class name/number, school name and address and a phone number maybe to my email at hennups@yahoo.co.uk and we'll talk more next term!
    Thanks!
    Sara

6. I am also in the Notts area and have year two next year. Would love to link up with this or something else later on if possible?!

Char [​IMG]

7. beershop

beershop New commenter

Hi Char
    That would be great. I possibly have other classes that would be interested too, so yeah, if you email me I'll store your email address for October/ November or so when we're ready to post the Stanleys.
    Thanks!
    Sara

8. Pink n Fluffy

Pink n Fluffy New commenter

Hi Sara,
    I'd be interested in swapping Stanleys with you. I am also in Year 2 and will have 29 in my class in September. My school is a large primary school based in Blackpool. Sounds like it'd be great fun. Let me know if you want to go ahead and I could e-mail you some more information.

9. Hi Sara,
    You've got mail! Thanks

10. Hi all on this thread.
    I have a Y2 class of 30 in London and would be interested in doing this right at the beginning of term if possible. If anyone else has 30 Y2's from somewhere else in the country to swap letters/ Stanleys with, I would love to hear from you!
    Thanks[​IMG]

11. beershop

beershop New commenter

Hi Pink n Fluffy.
    Sounds like there's now a few of us who fancy doing this, which is just fab. It would be lovely actually to send a selection to each place, maybe set up a multi-way swap, sending half to Notts and half to London maybe, so we get a different perspective. Or I've got other classes I can get involved within my KS1 unit, as we're all doing the same unit. Other classes are about 24 in number too.
    My email is hennups@yahoo.co.uk if you want to get in touch. We'll be ready to post arond half term.
    Thanks
    Sara

12. sally90

sally90 Occasional commenter

Hi, I'll be taking Year 3 in September, but I got my upcoming class to make Flat Stanleys during our Transition Day. Is your school JMI? If so, we'd be delighted to link up with some of your Year 3's [​IMG]

13. beershop

beershop New commenter

I just had to google JMI schools! Yes, we are a JMI school. I will email our Year 3 teacher and see if she fancies a link up because it'd be lovely to have more links!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would like to do this as well and will have 30 year 2s. We are a two form entry school and the other year 2 class would need to do it as well, though not necessarily sending to the same place.

It sounds like it could be fun to make and send early in the autumn and then send on the diaries around the country, coming back to the original school in the summer. So each school involved gets a new Flat Stanley each half term or so from a different place. And in the summer they get their own back, after he has been to 5 other places in the UK.

15. I would also be interested in the Flat Stanley project. I am year 2 also, 23 children and 22 in the other year 2 class. Our school is a JMI near Watford. My e-mail is dhawksley@oxheywood.herts.sch.uk
    Thanks

16. beershop

beershop New commenter

Fantastic to see more people interested! It sounds like we have 3 options....

1/ Straight swap between 2 chosen schools - both send Stanleys at the same time, he visits the new school and gets sent back to his home school after a couple of weeks.
    2/ We all pool our schools and classes. I have, say, 24 children, so send 6 Stanleys to each of 4 schools. Those 4 schools would send 6 each, or however many, to my class. We would then send them home to the 4 different schools after a couple of weeks.
    3/ As above, but instead of sending them straight home, we send them onto another school on the list and they keep making their way round.
    I think options 2 and 3 sound more interesting. We would need to really organise it, which I'm rubbish at doing but can try to, as we'll all want to be writing our first Stanleys in the autumn term, then posting around the same time so that we all get to host at the same time too. I think 2 might mean we get to see what our Stanleys have been up to sooner, but 3 would allow him to travel a bit futher afield before coming home.

Not sure if I'm making any sense. What do you all think? I have a couple of schools on the Scotland forum also interested which is great too.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like the second and third options as well, and would love to join in. However, I see what you mean about organisation. I could do it, but won't have the time next year.

Maybe a straight swap in the autumn term and then another straight swap in the spring and summer terms, but with different schools?

18. beershop

beershop New commenter

From what I can see on www.flatterworld.com on the bulletin boards, people seem to send odd stanleys out to different places to get lots of responses from around the place. This sounds very appealing. I have emailed a couple of places abroad too - France, Australia and Korea for example.
    From what I see this may work and I'm happy to organise a document with all the schools involved....
    Every child in your class makes a Stanley and does a journal for him for a week. You then put your school address and child's name on the back of Stanley and post him to the next school. You could send 4 or 5 to one school on the list and others to other schools. Then when a Stanley arrives at your school, you 'host' him and complete the journal for a further week before sending him onto the next school. When his journal is full (maybe after 4 or 5 visits) he gets sent back to the home school.
    Now there are obviously postage costs involed in this version, rather than just one postage cost on one envelope to one school as the Stanleys leave and then another as they return home. BUT, it is it seems the most exciting way to do the project. I would happily take postage costs on to make the most of this project. The way I see it, I would be sending about 5 envelopes each time to 5 different schools, on 5 different occasions, so would need 25 stamps.
    I will start collating email addresses and details for interested parties for whichever way we want to organise this. I am hoping to hear back from the overseas colleagues soon too.
    [​IMG]

19. Hi. I'd be interested in doing this again this year. Linked up with a school last year and my class got so much out of the fact that children, somewhere else in the UK, wanted to speak to them. My class next year will be 24 children, but only 7 will be Y2s (rest Y1). We're ex-coalfield, Northumberland. Sounds idyllic but in reality is very deprived. nicki.home @ hymerion. co. uk (sorry about the spaces - getting too much junk mail at the mo).

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My email is helen 9972@hotmail.com
    No spaces in mine either and I'm happy with whatever system is set up. My year team partner will be as well. Both of us have 30 children, but some could share happily if we swap with a class which has fewer children.