1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Flat head syndrome'. Give me strength.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-46440239

Apparently one in five babies has 'flat head syndrome'. That's not a syndrome it's what used to be called completely normal. Have people gone utterly mad? And how is this allowed? Babies heads have always been funny shapes if they had a preference for lying on one side, and look, everyone grew up with a normal shaped head because it's NORMAL. At best these horrid helmets will hasten what nature would have achieved anyway. At worst, this is giving babies unnecessary and potentially uncomfortable 'treatment', as well as being a total waste of money. Potty train your children, talk to them, teach them how to use a knife and fork. Theie head shape will look after itself.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Didn't do Fred Gwynne any harm - he became a household name in The Munsters.

[​IMG]

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If those helmets had been available years ago I could shave my head without embarrassment at people laughing at the word "Pyrex".

colpee, Aquamarina1234 and nomad like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This is the DIY Vegan helmet.

Flanks, Mangleworzle and blazer like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

20% slight variation in a natural parameter is abnormal?
    Well, my brother was erroneously delivered by section at 7 mths because he was mistaken for the baby of a high-risk lady whose baby was also breech. Leaving aside how much my mother could have done them for if this hadn't been the 1950s; also leaving aside they brought the wrong newborn onto the ward when she woke up, so after falling in love with the ginger baby, thinking my father must have some red-haired rels she'd never met, he was swept away after the hysterical real (auburn) Mum came screaming down the ward that SHE HAS MY BABY!!!!
    Leaving that also aside, he grew up with a large domey achondroplasia-type head, and was always little because of his enforced prematurity. But everything grew into place during adolescence and he is a happily-married father of two with a first from Imperial.
    Seems like abnormally-domey is even rarer than "flat" (don't put them in a hard-end cot if they are more than usually energetically wriggly?) but the same amount likely to turn out normal or not. AAAAARGH.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

nomad, Flanks and sabrinakat like this.
  7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

You see it a lot nowadays. The flat head is related to babies sleeping on their backs ( as advised by all ) and then being in a pushchair or car seat the rest of the time.
    Gonna get flat heads.
    Don't know that it impacts on brain development. Probably not. It might be that lack of physical development and spatial development, that sort of thing, is caused by being permanently in one position and in a restrained position sometimes ie babies always in car seats or prams.
    Just some mites don't get on the floor enough or handled and carried and so on.

sparkleghirl and blazer like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

They grow to be a bit of a square.

9. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Thanks God, we did not want our first child to wear one.
    He had, still has, an interesting head shape. The only challenge, he looked better with longer hair! ;)

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I suppose it's another manifestation of the American teeth thing. Why would you want to have your own individual, attractive, natural teeth when you could have a set of straight, artificially white, artificially even teeth exactly the same as everyone else's?

InkyP and Weald56 like this.
  11. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Surely an import from the US?

12. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

This is something I was totally paranoid about an as a result ensured that my daughter was 'rotated' regularly and had plenty of tummy time....I think it's because I saw my friend's child grow up to have an extraordinarily flat head that never righted itself (even now, 16 years later) and consequently, looks a bit like Igglepiggle.

13. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

One of my nephews had a very flat back of the head as a baby and toddler and it gradually got less noticeable as he grew older and now he’s 20, it’s not noticeable at all. The midwife told my SIL that it happened as a result off how he was positioned in the womb.

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought it was going to be about "flathead" V8 engines, which I would find much more interesting.

15. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Perhaps a bit like sticking out ears. My younger son had a very pronounced sticking out ear, oh’s side of the family! When he lay on one side his little ear would stick out and appear almost translucent. I made a point of telling him how much I loved it and we all called it Mr Flappy. It did not bother him in the slightest, in fact he would squeeze it in half to amuse his friends. Now, at nearly 30 it is not at all obvious despite his short haircut. His head has grown and everything looks in proportion. I imagine it would be similar for a flat head.