1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Flaming DT- bloomin moving vehicles!Please give advice!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Calling all Y2 teachers! I am about to do the Moving vehicles DT project and I am in such a mess over it. I don't undertstand how you're meant to do this with children and I've got myself in a right state about it. Can anyon who has done this with their class, run me through step by step how to do it with the children & what resources you used- type/size of boxes- cereal, shoe box or much smaller. Would it work with small boxes?Did you ge the ch to bring in what they needed?
    I have found some bits on the internet and they seem to come up with the fact you can use 2 types of axle- one stuck on, where the wheels move and one where the axel moves and you use a clothes peg.Can anyone explain how to do this?If going with a fixed axle how do you make sure the wheels can move if they are stuck onto a piece of doweling? Do you put the axle on the bottom of the box/vehicle? Or do you pass it through the box and if so wouldn't that be classed as a moving axel as it can rotate through the holes?
    Aghhh, please help, am awful at DT and have actually creid about this as I've spent all my time planning but getting nowhere!V frustrated!

2. Calling all Y2 teachers! I am about to do the Moving vehicles DT project and I am in such a mess over it. I don't undertstand how you're meant to do this with children and I've got myself in a right state about it. Can anyon who has done this with their class, run me through step by step how to do it with the children & what resources you used- type/size of boxes- cereal, shoe box or much smaller. Would it work with small boxes?Did you ge the ch to bring in what they needed?
    I have found some bits on the internet and they seem to come up with the fact you can use 2 types of axle- one stuck on, where the wheels move and one where the axel moves and you use a clothes peg.Can anyone explain how to do this?If going with a fixed axle how do you make sure the wheels can move if they are stuck onto a piece of doweling? Do you put the axle on the bottom of the box/vehicle? Or do you pass it through the box and if so wouldn't that be classed as a moving axel as it can rotate through the holes?
    Aghhh, please help, am awful at DT and have actually creid about this as I've spent all my time planning but getting nowhere!V frustrated!

3. delma

delma New commenter

First of all-deep breath ;0)

I was in Year 2 for my final placement and this was a topic I taught alongside the art teacher.

You can use any size box,ask the children beforehand to bring in anything they have at home. A shoebox is ideal (always bring some spares in yourself just in case!)
    Cereal boxes also work quite well-as does large tissue boxes.

You can prepare the dowel rods yourself, and they thread through the vehicle. You then attach an elastic band round both sides of the wheel (hope this is making sense so far) so the cars actually do move.

I have a medium term plan somewhere-perhaps a few daily plans if you would like, I could send them to you>?

4. Hi Delma- thank you sooo much for replying! Ok I followed you up to the point of the wheels and the bands. I have got lots of plastic or wooden disc style wheels. How do they turn?
    what would you do at each step. If your Plans explain it in a bit more detail I would absolutely love to see them. Thank you so much. Have just set this e mail up so hopefully should work ok, it's
    daliandaisy@jubii.co.uk
    Thankyou!!!

5. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

6. delma

delma New commenter

Yes, sorry-prep some wheels-they can be wooden, cardboard or cotton reels.

They will need a hole through the middle.

Ok, you thread the doweling rod through the vehicle. Then you add elastic bands onto the 4 doweling rods so the wheels won't move around so much.

THEN add the wheels. Then add ANOTHER elastic band to hold the wheels in place-and voila-a moving vehicle!
    The art teacher's husband prepped all the doweling rods, wheels etc.. make sure it's all done ready for the children. I will email you some of my lesson plans etc.. and if you have any questions, email me on delmalinii@fsmail.net

hope that helps ? :0)

7. Joi

Joi New commenter

8. delma

delma New commenter

Dalian-you should have mail x

9. delma

delma New commenter

Dalian, did you get my email ok? x

10. Hi there

I did this on final placement with a mixed yr 1/2 class and i thougtht exact same thing but it is fun once you do it.

The first lesson i did a powerpoint with different types of cars and asked the children to decribe different vehicles. I asked them if all vehicles have wheels and it was surprising the mix of answers.

For the main part i then got children to draw a car.
    For the plenary told the children we were looking at vehicles in more depth the following week.

The following lesson we looked at axels and wheels and the chassis - i had 3 pictures of a toy car which i put on the board of top of each other - the first showed a toy car, the pic underneath showed the car with all components and the third pic showed the axles, wheels and chassis. I had cue cards with the labels and asked chidlren to place on pics of cars. The main part was then designing and lablelling a car ready to be made the following lesson.

When we made the cars, i had all sizes of boxes. I told them to have a go at putting the axle through - does take a pit of effort! When through and a wheel on, they came to us and we had the saw to trim the axles and then they put the other wheel on and so on.

I took pics of each stage and then used these for Literacy as we were doing recounts and they wrote a recount booklet of how they made cars.

I can send the powerpoint through to you if you like and the chassis and axle pic. Let us have your address. x

11. ooh i will be doing vehicles next week. would love any bits people could email!

ashtonjoanne@hotmail.com

thanks in advance

12. Queenie your ideas sound great. I can see a bandwagon starting!! I know uploading to the resource bank is being difficult at the mo or I'd suggest that so now I'm asking (if you have the time)if would you mind sending me a copy too.
    Thanks in anticipation ajbooth1@yahoo.co.uk

13. hello Dalian Daisy!

I have just made these with my year 2.The children brought in some boxes and we turned them inside out and stuck with masking tape. they brought in all sorts, cereal, toothpasts, soup etc.

Some ch wanted to put boxes on top of another so they stuck those down with copydex.

we stuck pegs on the bottom of the boxes (two on each end) and then the sticks of wooden dowling went through the holes in the pegs. The wheels (which had holes in the middle)were then put on either side of the dowling. The pegs meant the dowling could turn in the small hole which in turn made the wheels turn!

The children then painted boxes and stuck paper number plates on etc
    i am sorry i hope this hasnt been too confusing!!
    please ignore if so!
    good luck xx

14. YOY

YOY

Something a bit different, which I used as an introductory task... try making planes?

You need:
    2 bits of wood - an old wooden ruler cut roughly in half is ideal, but anything about that size and shape works. I found a load of balsa wood offcuts at the back of the DTcupboard and spent a fun weekend cutting and sanding...
    A large bulldog clip
    a bit of dowel to use as an axle
    a couple of wheels (wood, cardboard, plastic - whatever's handy)
    decorating stuff - paint/pens/cut and stick stuff, depends what you've got.

To make them...

one bit of wood (standing on its side, if you see what I mean?) is the plane body,.
    Clip the bulldpgclip onto the bottom of it, to act as the plane's 'undercarriage'
    The dowel goes through the holes in the bulldog clip to create a free-rotating axle.
    Glue the wheels onto the dowel.
    Glue the other piece of wood on the top as the wings.

I made my lot plan on paper how to decorate the planes, and they got on with that whilst they took turns to go and get the glueing done with a glue gun as a 'glue station' by a TA.

They look fab if you hang them up from the ceiling/lights!

For the main design and make task, I introduced it by making a 'wacky races' poster, and set it up as a design competition. We then had a competition to race our vehicles down the school driveway, with a cup for the winner!

15. YOY

YOY

And if you have an IWB check out

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/wheels_axles/eng/Introdu...

from the NGFL cymru site - often a good source of splendiferous resources I find.

Process diaries to document/evaluate the design and make process at
    http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/subjects/dt/qca/index.htm#d...

Also lots of fab D&T stuff from
    http://www.primarydandt.org/
    although there doesn't seem to be anything for this specific unit.

I really liked teaching D&T, I did. It's one of the subjects I miss :-(

16. Crikey last Yoy! I hate DT!! Never mind I might grow to like it! Delma just going to check now, thanks for being so helpful, Will have a good read after the dust of Parents eve has settled! Thanks!

17. YOY

YOY

I think it helps if you can block timetable, have support in class and have a reasonably well-resourced D&T budget - it's a lot easier if you can order most of what you need, rather than having to constantly make do and mend!

18. Hi all, you have mail- hope these are ok. Sorry for the delay x

19. Hi there, Ive just read your comments and I am currently starting this topic and wanteed to know if you could please email me your powerpoint and pics, they would be really helpful for my unit.

thanks
    Isabel
    isabel.wells@gmail.com