1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixtures - one sport per term

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by BSL1, Sep 1, 2011.

1. BSL1

BSL1 New commenter

Do you concentrate on doing fixtures for just one sport per term such as hockey in th autumn term and netball in the spring term? If so, do you think the students benefit more?

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

In the indy sector then yes this is always the case.

In the state sector in my experience the schools never talk to each other. Fixtures are all over the place - rugby, football all in the same term. How are you going to get students into rugby when football fixtures are planned? The two have to be separate to encourage able footballers to have a go at rugby and vice versa.

State schools need to get together like indy schools do and say 'lets do rugby winter term, football spring and then cricket summer'. Plan fixtures around that, which will help plan games curriculum. Really isn't this what the sports parternships should do?

3. I think it depends where you are!

My previous school had a Competitions manager for our area so he was the central person who arranged fixtures and collated the results. In my new post, there never has been a competition manager but they have occasional fixtures meetings with the surrounding schools to draw up a timetable. The norm for us is one sport per half term, so two per term.

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I find this a big fall of the state sector. Why do they insist of squeezing in as many sports as possible? By the time you get started then it is time to finish. In the indy sector it is typically 12 weeks per game - enough time to get some training sessions in, play some games against other schools and then even have time for some tournaments at the end.

But the other major issue is that training for games still takes place after school or at lunchtime in the state sector. In the indy sector all practices for fixtures are within games sessions, in school time.

5. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Not really a problem in my school, we tend to get some kids playing just rugby, some kids playing just football, and some kids will play both.
    Perhaps it's more of an issue with smaller departments that don't have the staff/time to run teams or practices and have to concentrate on one or the other.
    There's only 3 of us though and we seem to do ok. Have never found doing training an issue after school either.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Glad it's working for you. I don't understand why every school doesn't do it?
    Millions pumped into sports partnerships, yet most are incapable of saying ' 'look you 5 schools are all close by, why not do this sport term,1, this term 2 etc.'
    I'm still baffled as to why secondary school games sessions can't be practices for 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams?